Velveeta Free Rotel Cheese Dip
Makes 12 to 16 appetizer servings
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour*
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) freshly shredded Cheddar cheese (do not use pre-shredded as it will clump and not melt smoothly)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco (optional)
- 1 can Rotel tomatoes, drained
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly to ensure flour doesn't clump or burn.
- Whisk in milk; gradually bring just to a low boil and cook until thickened (mixture should coat back of a spoon.)
- Turn heat to low and add cheese 1 handfull at a time, stirring until smooth. Add in remaining ingredients. Serve warm.
*Since my husband is gluten free, I used Jovial Gluten Free All Purpose Pastry Flour. It worked really well. I'm not sure all GF flours will work as well as some I have tried remain gritty when preparing a sauce. If your GF flour doesn't work well or you have concerns, you might also try using 1 tablespoon of cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon of water. Skip the butter/flour step and simply add the cornstarch slurry to the milk once it's been brought just to a boil. Let it simmer, stirring constantly, long enough until thickened.
Note: Nutrition facts reflect 1 of 12 servings.