Grain-Free Blood Orange Cake
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 3/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons fresh blood orange juice
- sprinkle turbinado sugar
- thinly sliced blood oranges
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine almond flour, arrowroot starch, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat softened butter and maple syrup in another bowl until creamy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Stir in blood orange juice.
- Add almond flour mixture to butter mixture and mix to combine.
- Line a 9-inch cake pan with parchment paper. Butter parchment and sprinkle with a thin layer of turbinado sugar. Place thinly sliced blood oranges in a pattern on top of sugar, folding thin slices into the sides if desired.
- Pour batter evenly over blood orange slices. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until a pick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow cake to rest for 5 minutes. Carefully invert cake onto a clean platter, removing and discarding parchment. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.