Turn end-of-summer zucchini into an Asian-inspired slaw in the Zucchini Slaw with Miso-Ginger Dressing.
~by Regan Jones, RD
I jumped on the bandwagon a while back and bought a spiralizer. It was fun the first few weeks, then I threw it in a cabinet and it's been collecting dust since.
Don't get me wrong -- I love the concept of turning veggies into a more "pasta-like" shape to get people eating more veggies. But I found in my family, it was only ME eating the spiralized zucchini, etc., and so I abandoned it.
I may pick it back up this month, though. I've got SO MANY new reasons to try it based on all those tiny little images you see at the bottom of this post. This month's Recipe ReDux is all about "getting your veggies in shape" and spiralized noodles seem to be on everyone's radar!
For my contribution this month, I went old school veggie shaping with a box grater. I've turned end-of-summer zucchini into this Asian-inspired slaw.
A note about this recipe -- don't be tempted to avoid the step of wringing out the zucchini or otherwise you'll end up with a very wet, soggy slaw. As it is, this slaw -- texture wise -- is a little more like a relish. The zucchini obviously isn't as crunchy as cabbage. But the carrots and apples hold up nicely and the flavors are amazing by using miso and ginger in the dressing. Give it a try!
And be sure to check out all the other veggie inspired noodles, zoodles, etc., in the thumbnail gallery below.
Turn end-of-summer zucchini into an Asian-inspired slaw in the Zucchini Slaw with Miso-Ginger Dressing @ReganJonesRD Tweet this
Zucchini Slaw with Miso-Ginger Dressing
Makes 8 servings
- 6 medium-size zucchini, grated
- 1 apple, grated
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon miso
- 1 tablespoon lime or orange juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger (I use Gourmet Garden "lightly dried" ginger)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Drain by either placing shredded zucchini a potato ricer, a nut milk bag or wrapping it up in a thin clean kitchen towel and squeezing out excess water.
- Toss zucchini with apple and carrots.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl; pour over zucchini mixture and toss well to coat. Serve immediately.