This easy to make, tropical bar cookie recipe combines classic flavor combos of orange and coconut in a 100% whole grain healthy dessert.
~by Regan Jones, RD
I was having a conversation the other day with my mom about desserts. We determined that she was a "cake" person and the rest of my family are "bars and cookie" people.
Surely you know what I mean?
There are people who like their desserts to involve a fork and plate.
And then those who eat out of hand.
Today's recipe doesn't offer much for you cake fans, but for bar cookie folks, this is one of the best twists on healthy and yummy you're gonna find:
Whole Grain Orange-Coconut Bars
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup ground flax seeds (I prefer golden flax)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup orange marmalade
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine all ingredients except coconut and marmalade in a large bowl; stir until well combined (mixture will be crumbly.) Reserve 3/4 cup of mixture.
- Press remaining mixture into an 8-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and carefully spread with marmalade. Sprinkle with coconut and remaining dough mixture, pressing mixture down slightly into marmalade.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.