Whipped Parmesan Sweet Potatoes with Spiced Crispy Chickpeas is a new spin on a classic holiday dish. Creamy cheese meets spicy chickpeas on a bed of sweet potatoes for some extra protein, flavor and holiday yum.
In pursuit of feeling more holiday, I'm starting the search for a totally fab sweet potato dish for Thanksgiving.
I mean, my grandma's marshmallow sweet potato concoction is perfect and necessary for Thanksgving to feel like Thanksgiving, but sometimes it's fun to try to make a new sweet potato dish to create a little sweet potato side dish war. You know, to spice up family gatherings a bit.
You can't ever beat a grandma recipe, but you can at least try. Then grandma can tell you, good try sweetheart. Better luck next year.
I'm quite the sweet potato fan. This one time, I dipped sweet potato chips in melted dark chocolate and then dipped them in a ricotta dip. Now that was a good time.
I assure you that these whipped parmesan sweet potatoes are still a very good time.
So. Where to start? I'm glad you asked...
a. buy yourself some sweet potatoes. I mean, it's practically November so you may as well start stockpiling sweet potatoes like yesterday. Oh. And pumpkin. Start stockpiling pumpkin too.
b. make a goal for yourself to discover your favorite cheese by buying too many fancy cheeses at the grocery store. Grate your fav cheese and whip it into some mashed sweet potatoes.
c. roast up some crispy chickpeas and put them on top of your creamy, whipped sweet potatoes. Chickpeas are pretty much the statement necklace of the food world so they're gonna make the dish look completely awesome. It's true.
Then that's it. Sweet potato goodness is within your reach!
Whipped Parmesan Sweet Potatoes with Spiced Crispy Chickpeas
- 2 large sweet potatoes, chopped into 2" cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup parmesan, grated
- 1/4 cup parmesan, shaved
- 1, 15oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Peel sweet potatoes, leaving a couple pieces of sweet potato skin on each potato. Alternatively, peel all the skin from the sweet potatoes if you prefer your mashed potatoes with no potato skin.
- Drizzle potatoes with 2 tablespoons olive oil and toss together. Bake for 40 minutes, or until soft. Flip once during cooking.
- Meanwhile, toss the chickpeas with 1 tablespoons olive oil and the spices. Bake for 20 minutes, or until crunchy. Stir a couple times during cooking.
- Once potatoes are soft, mash potatoes with a fork. While the potatoes are still hot, stir/whip in the grated parmesan until it's melted and the lumps in the potatoes are gone.
- Top mashed potatoes wtih roasted chickpeas, pumpkin seeds and shaved parmesan.