Take your spring recipes from good to great with a secret ingredient -- lemon curd. Try it in this Strawberry Shortcake!
(Disclosure: I am a California Strawberry Ambassador, but I was not asked or compensated to include them in this post.)
Today, we're tackling a topic that's uniquely spring -- lemon curd.
Please tell me you've tried lemon curd before? Or, at least, you've seen it and wondered what to do with it, right?
You're not alone. A quick scan of the internet reveals that many people are asking the question "What recipes should I make with lemon curd?"
My first introduction to lemon curd was years ago in this Lemon Swirled Cheesecake. I recall making it for Easter that year and receiving rave reviews. As I remember it, I made the lemon curd from scratch. But nowadays, I typically prefer a little #QuickFixKitchen magic and cut down on the prep by using McKay's Lemon Curd (available at most retailers).
The only "problem" with a jar of lemon curd is that there's typically some leftover (A good problem to have, IMHO). And that often leaves you wondering "What am I going to do with the rest of this lemon curd?"
First, you can start by making today's recipe -- Strawberry Shortcake with Lemon Curd Cream. I promise you won't be disappointed. The combo of Greek yogurt + lemon curd is DUHVINE. Seriously. So much yumminess.
But the yumminess of lemon curd doesn't stop with cheesecake and shortcake. Try these ideas:
- Smear it over pancakes and top with berries
- Use as the filling between a layer cake (especially coconut cake!)
- Use as a topping for vanilla ice cream
- Mix into cream cheese for an epic bagel topping
- Assemble between graham crackers and toasted marshmallows for a Spring S'more
- Stir into this Greek Yogurt Frosting for the perfect topping on spring cupcakes
Let me know -- have you ever used lemon curd or made your own? What are your favorite lemon curd recipes?
Take recipes from good to great w/a secret ingredient -lemon curd- in this Strawberry Shortcake via @ReganJonesRD Tweet this
Gluten Free Strawberry Shortcake with Lemon Curd Cream
- 140 g (about 1 cup) gluten free all purpose flour
- 21 g (about 3 1/2 tablespoons) unflavored whey protein
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup buttermilk, kefir or strawberry-flavored drinkable yogurt
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, trimmed and sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 7 ounces (about 1 cup) plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon curd
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine flour through sugar in a large bowl; add cream and buttermilk, stirring until dough forms.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface and shape into a large disk. Using biscuit cutter, cut into rounds.
- Place on a baking sheet or in a cast iron skillet that has been coated with cooking spray. Brush tops with melted butter, if desired.
- Bake at 400 degress F for 20 min or until lightly browned. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, toss strawberries with sugar and let stand while biscuits bake. Combine yogurt and lemon curd.
- Slice each biscuit in half. Divide strawberries and lemon curd cream evenly among shortcakes and layer as desired.
*I highly recommend that you weigh your flour, rather than measuring it. While the flour you use can influence your results greatly, so can the "amount" of flour you use.