The fastest way to an ooey-gooey, warm and delicious gluten-free cake.
If you know me at all, then you know... my family moves. A lot. Uncle Sam likes to keep us on our toes. You know, "the rolling stone gathers no moss". We are just like the Rolling Stones, but lots younger, way less cool and much poorer.
Nonetheless, each move brings with it a new address and place to call home. New walls and corners to fit our stuff in. New kitchens and pantries to adjust to.
The last couple of places we've lived have had no microwave. Which was fine... I don't use that machine except to occasionally heat up my neglected coffee mug contents. However, the timing of the brilliant "Mug Cake", with its promise of a super-quick deliciousness, couldn't have been worse. When Regan would post these gorgeous cakes, like her Easy Chocolate Mug Cake and her Banana-Chocolate Chip Mug Cake, it was almost enough to make me head out to buy a microwave.
You can imagine the quiet joy I felt, walking into my new kitchen a couple of months ago, spotting the microwave. The "Mug-Cake"-making microwave.
And here it is... my first. And yes, it was totally worth the hype.
How else are you going to get a totally gluten- and grain-free cake covered in warm peanut butter and chocolate in literally 3 minutes? Not without a microwave! If you have no microwave, then like me, it's time to move.
Gluten Free Upside Down Chocolate-Peanut Butter Mug Cake
- 1/4 cup peanut butter powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons mini chocolate chips
- Combine peanut butter powder, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl; stir well to combine. Add egg and vanilla; stir well.
- Transfer mixture to a 12-ounce straight-edge coffee mug lightly coated with cooking spray. Combine peanut butter and mini chocolate chips in a small bowl. Transfer peanut butter mixture to the center of the batter in the mug, burying the mixture slightly in the batter.
- Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute or until cake is fully cooked on top. Flip cake out onto a plate to serve.