Change up your morning routine with this Three Greens Breakfast Sandwich with Fancy Guacamole!
~by Kylie Mitchell
I would like to introduce you to THE breakfast sandwich.
It has eggs and cheese and guacamole and I didn’t add bacon because we didn’t have any. I also didn’t add bacon because I’ve become a complete and total bacon snob and will only buy black forest bacon from Whole Foods. And in the interest of having any money for retirement, I don’t go to Whole Foods too much. I get easily distracted and before you know it I have 5 too many cold-pressed juices, something made with hemp seeds and organic dog treats. AND my Whole Foods has a clothing store in the middle of it with yoga headbands, cute dresses, Toms, necklaces, succulent-filled terrariums, and soap that smells so good.
So I just stay away.
Back to the sandwich. All my life (or for at least the first 15 years of it), I disliked guacamole. So now I spend most of my time making up for lost time by filling my weeks with avocados in some fashion.
Today we smoosh an avocado together with goat cheese, sriracha, a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of salt/pepper. If there was ever something to put on a tortilla chip…it is this.
I don’t really eat that many sandwiches for breakfast. For me they’ve always been more of a lunch thing. But in an effort to fill my life with more vegetables, occasionally I’ll take a break from protein pancakes/oatmeal and fill my morning with something a bit more savory (i.e. this sandwich).
Instead of a 3-cheese grilled cheese, this is like a 3-GREENS grilled cheese. For my greens, I used spinach, watercress (mine was frozen) and arugula. Feel free to use whatever green(s) you have on hand. Then sauté those greens and mix them with cheese, please. Top with tomatoes, aforementioned fancy guacamole, add bread and BOOM you’ve got yourself breakfast.
Oh, and make one of your bread slices into an egg in a hole. I posted a picture (this picture) to instagram while I was working on this recipe and I learned that there are approximately 30 different names for ‘egg in a hole.’ What is your name for it?
Whatever you call it, make it and turn it into THE breakfast sandwich.
Change up your morning routine with this Three Greens Breakfast Sandwich with Fancy Guacamole! via @immaeatthatblog Tweet this
Three Greens Breakfast Sandwich with Fancy Guacamole
- 2 eggs
- 4 slices whole grain bread (large enough to punch a hole in and crack an egg into)
- ½ large avocado
- 1 ounce goat cheese
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¾ cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 ½ cup greens, roughly chopped (I used spinach, watercress, arugula)
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- Prepare your guacamole. In a bowl, mash together avocado, goat cheese, sriracha, lemon juice and salt/pepper. Set aside.
- Heat greased skillet (I used spray olive oil) over medium heat, add greens and cook, stirring frequently, until wilted (about 1 minute). Scoop sautéed greens into a bowl and mix in mozzarella cheese. Set aside.
- Now grease warm skillet with a little more olive oil/butter. Add 2 slices of bread and cook until toasted. Flip to other side and top hot/toasted side with cheese + greens mixture. Cook until cheese is melted. You can also place cheesy toast under a broiler if cheese isn’t melting. Set cheesy bread on a cooling rack (so it doesn’t get soggy) and top with sliced tomatoes and guacamole.
- Make your ‘egg in a hole.’ In the remaining two slices of bread, use a cup to cut out a hole. Add a little more oil/butter to your skillet and add the toast. Flip once toasted, then crack in your egg. Cook until the egg reaches your desired doneness level, flip if needed. Add ‘egg in a hole’ on top of the guacamole to complete your sandwich.