Enjoy a dark, rich brownie without the guilt. These dark chocolate flourless brownies are gluten free and intensely fudgy.
One of the fun parts of having a food blog is having your favorite recipes always at the ready. The downside is you tend to forget your faves.
I've started going back through old recipes picking out the ones I liked the best. Some, are easy to recall because they've been quite popular. These brownies are the perfect example.
A few years ago someone pinned these recipes on Pinterest and they went bonkers -- like, crash-the-site crazy busy. At the time, I'd developed them with a sugar-free option. Over the years, I've backed off that option and edited it out because honestly, I didn't think they were as good as they could be when made sugar free.
I made these brownies again this weekend and my husband and I both thought they were share-worthy. They're dark... as the name implies. But I love dark chocolate and these are rich and fudgy, like you'd expect from a flourless chocolate cake, only in brownie form.
If you've made any of the recipes here on Healthy Aperture and have a fave, I'd LOVE it if you'd let me know. I'm in the process of compiling my faves. I'd love to know yours as well!
Enjoy a dark, rich brownie without the guilt! These dark chocolate flourless brownies are the perfect sweet treat. Tweet this
Dark Chocolate Flourless Brownies
Makes 16 servings
- 8 ounces semi-sweet or unsweetened baker’s chocolate, divided
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup espresso or strongly brewed coffee
- 2/3 cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon ground golden flax seed (optional, but recommended)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened dark cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Splash of vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine 6 ounces chocolate and butter in a small bowl; microwave on HIGH in 30 second intervals until melted, stirring in between.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Slowly beat in melted chocolate mixture and espresso; continue beating just until well combined (mixture will be very thin).
- Whisk together next 5 ingredients (coconut flour through baking powder). Add to liquid mixture and beat until smooth (mixture will be thick).
- Spread out evenly into a brownie pan coated on the bottom only with cooking spray (I used an “all edges” brownie pan but you could substitute a 9- x 9- or 9- x 12-inch baking dish or pan.) Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 35 minutes or until brownies are done (time will vary based on thickness of batter depending on pan size.)
- To make glaze, microwave remaining 2 ounces chocolate and cream in 30 second intervals until melted. Add in powdered sugar, salt and vanilla and whisk until smooth. Spread over warm brownies.