I’m a long time wanna-be baker. I have no business doing it but sometimes I get an itch and I want to create the deliciousness of a freshly baked good. This recipe is not particularly vegetarian but I hope you will humor me this one time. Next month I will go back to regularly programmed blogging. Besides, it’s just a muffin, not Beef Bourguignon.
So how did these muffins come about? Pretty much from a surplus of strawberries and an extra tub of mascarpone cheese I happen to have lying around. I made a super delicious no-bake pie with mascarpone cheese last week. The strawberries were an impulse buy at Costco simply because they were organic. It’s not often you come across organic strawberries in bulk. I wanted to make something for breakfast that was grab-and-go, carby, and delicious that I could give Norah that also had some redeeming nutritional value.
Turns out these are too healthy for her taste (read: not quite sweet enough) so I will be enjoying them myself, thank you.
Since I am all too familiar with baking disasters, I risked a wounded self-esteem, a test of my patience, and a great lesson in humility by baking these up for you. With that being said, I am thrilled to report they came out great! They did not burn, stick to the muffin tin, or otherwise come out of the oven destroyed. In fact, when I checked on them midway through I was overly optimistic and reported excitedly to my husband that these muffins just may in fact be edible!
Much to my surprise, they are more than edible…they are dang tasty! They have a distinct and delightful strawberry flavor with an unexpected crunch from the rolled oats. The mascarpone cheese sort of melted inside the muffins so you know it's there but only if you know it’s there, if you know what I mean.
I really love these muffins. They aren’t too sweet, which I totally appreciate because these are muffins, not cupcakes. Something I had to repeatedly tell my husband.
Put your extra strawberries to good use and bake a batch of these Strawberry Mascarpone Muffins! Tweet this
Strawberry Mascarpone Muffins
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup natural applesauce
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- pinch sea salt
- 4 oz Mascarpone cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp confectioner's sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F and prepare muffin tins with liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, apple sauce, maple syrup, coconut oil, and vanilla. Then add oats, flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and coconut milk. Mix until well combined.
- Place strawberries in the blender just to make a chunky puree, or finely chop them. Fold strawberries into mix. In a mixer, whip the mascarpone cheese, vanilla and sugar until well mixed.
- Layer about one tablespoon of batter into each muffin tin and top with 1 tablespoon of the cheese mixture. Then top with enough batter to reach the top of the muffin tin.
- Bake for 26 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool completely before serving.