Ban boring cocktails from your drink menu. Spice things up with ginger and cilantro in this Strawberry Cilantro Cocktail.
For a recent Recipe ReDux, I chose to recreate a recent cocktail my husband had in Puerto Vallarta last fall. The restaurant's specialty drink was called "The Gong." Made table side, it consisted of vodka, strawberries, ginger, lime juice and mint. It was so refreshing and not too sweet. We've recreated it a number of times at home, but this time I didn't have any mint. Having cilantro instead, I thought I'd give it a try.
All you cilantro haters, don't hate. Just substitute mint if you can't do the cilantro thing. It's all good. You do you.
But if you're like me and find the taste of cilantro uniquely fun and tasty, this is an awesome new way to use it in a cocktail. I hope you'll give it a try. Or try one of the ReDux recipes you'll find in the link below. Cheers!
Ban boring cocktails. Spice things up with ginger and cilantro in this Strawberry Cilantro Cocktail! Tweet this
Strawberry Cilantro Cocktail
- 2 - 3 medium-size ripe strawberries, halved
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled cut into 2 pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves*, torn
- 1 lime wedge
- 1 1/2 fluid ounces vodka
- Splash club soda or tonic*
- Muddle together strawberries, ginger and cilantro until crushed and juicy; add vodka and let stand 2 to 3 minutes. Fill a glass half-full with ice; strain strawberry mixture over ice. Squeeze juice from lime wedge into glass; top with a club soda.
*The original idea for this cocktail included mint. If you're not a cilantro fan, mint is a wonderful substitute. Also, I prefer less sweet cocktails. Tonic can be used as an alternative to club soda for a sweeter drink.