Smashed Potatoes are a yummy side dish made simple with the help of the microwave and a little broiling in the oven
~by Regan Jones, RD
Sundays are for side dishes IMHO.
I mean, think about it. During the week, if my family gets a pot of mashed potatoes and a pan of roasted veggies, I feel like we're high rollin'. But on the weekends, there's time for a little embellishment, gilding of the lily, showing off your skills.
Today's recipe is one I've shared here before, but I'm refreshing it today 1) to remind you about how easy it is to make something special for your Sunday side dish, even without a lot of extra effort (especially when the microwave is involved) and 2) to update the video for this recipe:
I shared with you last week my tips for creating video for your food blog. So what kind of blogger would I be if I didn't embrace my own advice and improve on some of the videos I made when I was first starting out?
I'm dying to hear what you -- my fellow food bloggers who read the HA blog -- are doing to get started or at least to think about getting started on making videos for your own blogs. Tell me -- what's holding you back from making videos for your blog RIGHT NOW?
Spicy Smashed Potatoes are a simple, yummy side dish via a microwave, a broiler and help from @ReganJonesRD Tweet this
Spicy Smashed Potatoes
- 2 pounds small red potatoes, cleaned
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 2 to 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- Garnish: Greek-style yogurt
- Preheat broiler.
- Place potatoes on a microwave safe dish. Microwave on HIGH 5 to 8 minutes or until tender.
- Line a baking sheet with foil; coat lightly with cooking spray. Arrange potatoes on baking sheet. Using the bottom of a measuring cup, press down each potato to smash flat.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and chipotle season. Top with bacon and cheese. Broil until cheese is melted. Top with green onion and Greek-style yogurt, if desired. Serve warm.