This vegan green soup is spicy and full of all the veggies. Using frozen veggies keeps the cost and effort factor to a minimum.
Traveling is fabulous isn't it? Getting away from the daily grind, enjoying the sites in other cities, and just relaxing (maybe). So wonderful!
As great as it to travel, it's always nice to come home and sleep in your own bed, right? What's not nice is that you have nothing to eat in your kitchen.
Enter frozen veggies.
I buy frozen veggies when they're on sale, but even when they're not on sale they are usually less expensive than their fresh counterparts. Don't get me wrong, you can't beat in-season, fresh veggies. However, if you're on a budget and/or you want a veggie that isn't in season, frozen veggies are your besties.
Whenever I get home from traveling, I always crave veggies. Does anyone else crave veggies after a vacation? Surely I'm not the only one... but seriously, the second I get home I want all the veggies. All the veggies.
Luckily, this soup has tons of veggies. Onions, garlic, broccoli, spinach, peppers, and since they're green, cilantro & parsley.
It's certainly not too pretty, but it's spicy and thick and satisfying. In my humble opinion, it is my favorite thing to make when I get home from vacation. It's inexpensive, easy to prepare, filling, makes a lot of soup (yay for leftovers!), and full of vitamins & goodness my body has been missing out on while vacationing.
Spicy Green Soup
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 TBSP minced garlic
- 4 cups broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 (12 oz) packages frozen broccoli florets
- 1 (10 oz) package frozen spinach
- 1/4 cup minced hot pepper
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Heat olive oil oven medium-low heat in a large soup pot. Add onions, and sauté 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, broth, water, broccoli, and spinach. Stir, and turn heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and add hot peppers, cilantro, salt, and turmeric. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and blend (using an immersion blender or carefully transferring to a blender in batches to blend).
- Add in nutritional yeast, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Stir well until completely combined. Top with chopped green onions, nuts, parsley, and/or cilantro. Serve and enjoy!
- *Notes: you can use any broth desired. Any hot peppers work in this soup: serrano peppers, jalapeño peppers, etc.