This Chorizo and Black Bean Chipotle Sorghum Power Bowl is an easy, gluten-free weeknight dinner.
This post kicks off a new series of three Healthy Aperture Blogger Network campaigns sponsored by Hodgson Mill. Recipe and photos by kumquat.
It's a new year and we're ready to tackle some new adventures. Whether your goals are big or small, we hope one that's always on your radar is to introduce your family to new foods and flavors. That's why we're so excited about the upcoming recipes our bloggers are working on with Hodgson Mill. We want to introduce all of you to some "new" ancient grains. Their names, flavors and textures may be unfamiliar, but trying them doesn't have to be difficult!
Hodgson Mill has released a new line of sides that make trying them both convenient and easy. The Hodgson Mill Ancient Grain Medleys are made with KAMUT® Khorasan Wheat, Sorghum, and Teff, and are available in three flavors - Roasted Garlic Peppercorn, Butter & Chive, and Rosemary & Olive Oil and Hodgson Mill Sorghum Quinoa & Brown Rice sides are available in three flavors - Rosemary & Garlic, Chipotle, and Parmesan.
With grains and seasonings all in one pouch, they're easy to whip up in 15-20 minutes on the stovetop, and help you round out your meal with whole grains. Whole Grains are specially produced to retain all parts of the grain (often grains are refined to remove the nutritious bran and germ, which are packed with fiber, vitamins, and minerals) so you're getting an extra boost of nutrients each time you include them.
So we hope you'll join us in kicking off your new year with a new grain! Hodgson Mill side dishes are new, and can be found in-store in select areas, but can also be purchased online at www.hodgsonmill.com or on Amazon.
Over the next two weeks, we'll be sharing recipes from:
- Liz @ Pumpkin & Peanut Butter
- Bailey @ Simply Sissom
- Erin @ Platings & Pairings
- Alex @ Delish Knowledge
- Laura @ JoyFoodSunshine
- Melanie @ Nutritious Eats
- Holly @ Taste & See
- Emilie @ Emilie Eats
- Rachael @ Rachael Hartley Nutrition
- Ali @ Home & Plate
- Brandy @ Nutmeg Nanny
- Julia @ A Cedar Spoon
AD: Try a new grain this year with this Chorizo and Black Bean Chipotle Sorghum Power Bowl. Tweet this
Chorizo and Black Bean Chipotle Sorghum Power Bowl
- 1 package Hodgson Mill Chipotle Sorghum, Quinoa, and Brown Rice mix
- 1.5 cups chopped mango (about one mango)
- 1/2 jalapeno, deseeded and minced
- juice from 1/2 a fresh lime
- 3 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, divided
- 1/2 pound lean chorizo
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 banana
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- Prepare Sorghum, Quinoa, and Brown Rice mix according to package instructions. Set aside and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, combine mango, jalapeno, juice of 1/2 lime, and 2 tablespoons cilantro in a medium bowl. Cover and chill.
- Remove chorizo from casing into a small skillet; discard casing. Cook chorizo at medium heat, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, about 6-8 minutes. Keep warm.
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a medium skillet. Add onion and garlic; cook for 1 minute. Add cumin, black beans, and remaining 1 tablespoon cilantro; cook until heated through. Set aside and keep warm.
- Peel banana and slice into 1/2-inch diagonal slices. Heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a small skillet. Add banana slices to hot oil and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until just browned.
- Divide Sorghum, Quinoa, and Brown Rice mix among 4 bowls. Top evenly with chorizo, black beans, mango salsa, fried bananas, and sliced avocado. Serve with additional lime slices, if desired.