Convenience is key in this quick-and-easy Smothered Chicken Burrito recipe. Using flame-grilled chicken breast and an enchilada sauce hack of pasta sauce and salsa verde, Tex-Mex has never tasted better or been quicker!
This post is sponsored by Johnsonville.
Lunch on the other hand?
Um, yeah, like errrrry day.
Working from home has so many upsides. And you'd think by not having to go "out" for lunch, I'd have so much time to prep/cook.
You'd think that. But you'd be wrong.
Working from home simply means I can feel the weight of a thousand emails piling up around me 24 hours a day (true story, I get at least that many each week) and all the other "stuff" that goes along with podcasting, blogging, running recipe contests, running a blogger network, organizing a blogging conference... and those are just the "routine" tasks.
But honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way. I don't complain about my busy-ness anymore. It's a beast of my own making. And I love it.
What I don't love, though, is sitting at my desk starving, with no good lunch options and feeling like I've got to break away for a big elaborate lunch production.
So when Johnsonville contacted me to try out their new Flame Grilled Chicken Breasts, I put up zero resistance.
Resistance is futile when it comes to protein-rich, easy lunch options. I'll give into that every day of the week.
On paper, I knew they were a good fit for me:
- Fully cooked, whole-muscle, chicken breast (no rib meat)
- No fillers, added MSG, artificial preservatives, flavors and colors, nitrites, nitrates
- 19g of protein per individually packaged chicken breast (and as you may recall, protein and fiber are my MUST haves daily). I aim for 20g - 30g of protein per meal, so these are perfect.
But taste, Regan. How do they taste?
Really good! And if you're thinking "but you have protein-colored goggles on, so you can't be objective," you should know that I served the Black Pepper & Sea Salt Chicken Breasts (package shown below) to my oldest son (read: pickiest eater) and he loved them, too!
While you can always eat the breasts alone, they're so convenient I recommend using them as the base for a quick-and-easy recipe... you know, like a Smothered Chicken Burrito:
Not really sure HOW TO MAKE a Smothered Chicken Burrito? I can help. Enjoy!
Note: You can find these new Flame Grilled Chicken Breasts in the refrigerator section of you local supermarket.
ad: Convenience is key in this simple Smothered Chicken Burrito recipe! Tweet this
Smothered Chicken Burrito
Makes 1 serving
- 1 Johnsonville Flame Grilled Black Pepper & Sea Salt Chicken Breast
- 2 medium-size flour tortillas
- 1/4 cup fat-free refried beans, divided
- 1 to 2 canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup 2% shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 1/2 cup jarred pasta sauce (I use Tomato & Basil)
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- Garnish: chopped cilantro
- Slice chicken breast into thin slices.
- Spread 2 tablespoons refried beans on each tortilla; divide chicken, sliced chipotle peppers and 2 tablespoons cheese evenly among tortillas and roll-up, burrito style.
- Combine pasta sauce, salsa verde and chili powder in a small bowl. Arrange burritos in a microwave safe dish. Top evenly with sauce and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Microwave on HIGH 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is hot. Garnish with chopped cilantro, if desired.