Learn how to make a basic coffee cake in the slow cooker
~by Regan Jones, RD
Some of my posts require more explanation than others - Recovery Grapes come to mind (What a novella that one was. The whys and hows of recovery nutrition carry a certain amount of obligatory discussion, I guess).
Slow Cooker Cakes do not.
I mean, it's a cake. Yum. Made in the slow cooker. Win.
Pretty straightforward right?
Slow cookers are just mini ovens, so why not? The one limitation is the round "crockness" to it. I haven't yet figured out how to turn it into a beautiful 8-inch loaf, but I'm not giving up. Regardless, it works well for a cake shape.
One bit of advice, though. I wouldn't (yet) want to suggest that a slow cooker be the method by which you try to recreate your grandmother's beautiful, delicate 4 layer Italian cream cake, if you get my drift. The edges of a cake baked in the slow cooker do get a little more "attention" from the crock, if you will, so you have to be sure not to overcook and opt for a cake batter that holds up well to a little extra heat.
Lastly, you could probably lengthen the time on this one if you're wanting it to cook while you're stepping away for a number of hours. But I haven't tried it yet, so no promises. If you do, let me know!
(Inspired to do more with your slow cooker? Check out these great recipes on CookingLight.com)
Learn how to make a basic coffee cake in the slow cooker Tweet this
Gluten Free Slow Cooker Orange-Date Cake
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup sugar (or sugar substitute of preference)
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon ground flax meal
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 12 tablespoons (100g) all-purpose gluten-free flour (I used 50g tapioca starch + 25g quinoa flour + 25g almond meal)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Pinch of ground cloves, nutmeg and salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Zest of an orange
- 2/3 cup chopped dates
- Coat inside of slow cooker with cooking spray; turn on HIGH.
- In a large bowl beat together oil, sugar, egg white, flax and applesauce.
- Add flours, spices, baking powder, baking soda, salt and orange zest. Stir in dates.
- Pour batter into slow cooker. Bake for 2 to 2 1/2 hours on HIGH or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool. Loosen sides of cake with a knife. Turn out onto serving platter.