Mole spiced, Mexican beef cooked in the slow cooker. An easy weeknight dinner recipe,
perfect for tostadas, tacos and nachos.
I was having a conversation with my partners of The Recipe ReDux the other day and the topic of slow cookers came up. I'll confess... I love slow cookers, but always seem to find myself preparing the same sorts of recipes in them (think roast beef and chicken casseroles.) But as I told them, I know the slow cooker is capable of so much more and I know people love a good slow cooker recipe (Google Analytics doesn't lie).
That's one of the main reasons I love to post slow cooker recipes here on the Healthy Aperture Blog... because so many of us want slow cooker recipes, but we seem to be stuck when it comes to what to prepare.
This recipe is the perfect bridge between comfort zone and new horizons.
Slow Cooker Beef Tostadas are inspired by traditional mole flavored dishes of the Oxaca region of Mexico. If you've never had a mole sauce, it's a rich, thick sauce that often contains a host of chiles, spices and frequently, chocolate. This is an oversimplified version, but one that imparts a unique and subtle flavor to the beef... let's just say you may start out with beef shoulder, but what you end up with "ain't your momma's pot roast."
The best thing about this dish, though, truly is the hands off nature of the dish... what any good slow cooker dish should be. You simply add everything, walk away... and 5 hours later have this warm, subtly spicy beef to mound over tostadas (or pile in tacos or nachos... you choose) and top with your favorite goodies.
I haven't tried straining and boiling down the cooking liquid... I'm thinking it might make a mighty fine mole sauce itself. If you try it, let me know how it turns out! And if you need a little more of a "primer" to get started with your slow cooker, be sure to check out this video from Cooking Light Executive Editor Ann Taylor Pittman.
Mole spiced, Mexican beef cooked in the slow cooker. An easy weeknight dinner recipe, perfect for tostadas or tacos Tweet this
Slow Cooker Beef Tostadas
- 1 (3 pound) beef shoulder roast, cut into large pieces
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- pinch of cinnamon
- 2 roma tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 onion, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup orange juice or lime juice
- 8 baked tostada shells
- Place beef in a large slow cooker.
- Combine cocoa powder and next 5 ingredients (through cinnamon); sprinkle over beef.
- Top with tomatoes and onions; pour juice over beef and vegetables.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 5 hours.
- Remove beef from slow cooker and shred with two forks.
- Serve beef and cooked vegetables over baked tostada shells and top with desired toppings (sliced poblano and yellow bell peppers, avocado, lime juice, salsa verde, red onion, cilantro, etc)