Let your slow cooker do all the work making dessert in this super moist Slow Cooker Fruited Carrot Cake recipe.
I know. Sometimes it feels like I only have a slow cooker or microwave to cook in, right? I mean, I make English muffins in a microwave and now I'm baking a carrot cake in a Crock Pot.
But c'mon. How can you NOT like recipes that push the limits of what an appliance can do? I mean, we all know that your oven can bake a carrot cake. Baking one in the slow cooker successfully is so much more fun, right?
This is not my first cake in the slow cooker. Remember this Slow Cooker Orange Date Cake? But this is the first one that's "special occasion" worthy. It's the perfect size for a small family gathering. Anyone got company coming this weekend for Easter? Maybe you're running short on time and need a "fix it and forget it" type dessert. This is it! No hot oven required. Simply stir the batter together, pop it in your slow cooker and you've got a cake to decorate 3 easy hours later.
Bonus - this cake is VERY forgiving. And by that I mean that since it's a "fruited" cake it's super duper moist. Like really moist. Did you hear me? It's moist. So while you do want to make sure it's not overbaked around the edges, I promise you're going to end up with a moist cake... thanks to all the fruit and carrots.
I've topped mine with my popular Greek Yogurt Frosting, but you could always go the traditional cream cheese icing route. Here's a cream cheese icing recipe from our friends at Cooking Light.
Lastly, a nod to the fine folks over at Southern Living who inspired this recipe. They have a more "traditional" version of this cake (not gluten free, a little more calorie-rich) in their special collector's cookbook for "Best Slow Cooker Suppers." This recipe is a liberal adaptation of their recipe.
Let your slow cooker do the dessert making in this super moist Slow Cooker Fruited Carrot Cake by @ReganJonesRD Tweet this
Slow Cooker Fruited Carrot Cake
- 2 cups (240 g) gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/3 cup cinnamon-spiced applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 lb (about 4) fresh carrots, trimmed and shredded (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 recipes of Greek Yogurt Frosting* or cream cheese frosting, if preferred
- Coat the inside of a 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Line bottom with one long strip of parchment paper that hangs over the sides. Cut out parchment round for bottom of insert and place inside slow cooker. Turn on slow cooker to LOW.
- Whisk together flour and next 5 ingredients (through allspice). Combine Greek yogurt, oil, applesauce and eggs, mixing well. Add to dry ingredients and stir until moistened.
- Stir in carrot, pineapple and pecans.
- Pour into prepared slow cooker. Cover top of slow cooker with aluminum foil and top with lid. Cook on LOW 3 hours. Check top to ensure cake is cooked through. Remove slow cooker insert. Cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes. Carefully lift cake out of insert and cool completely.
- Top with *Greek Yogurt Frosting.