Turn quinoa into a rich, creamy risotto with mushrooms and marsala in this easy recipe for Quinoa Risotto.
~by Min Kwon, MS, RD
Did you know September is National Mushroom Month? So how about giving this nutritious food some special attention and lovin' before pumpkin starts to take over the world (if it hasn't already).
Here are some fun mushroom facts for ya:
- low in calories, hearty, and filling
- provide important nutrients like B vitamins, selenium, potassium, vitamn D, fiber, and more
- speaking of vitamin D, mushrooms are the only produce that naturally contain it
- possess umami, which means more flavor without the extra sodium
Today I want to share with you a simple, heart-warming vegetarian dish - Mushroom Marsala Quinoa Risotto. This recipe was inspired by my love for chicken marsala, in which the highlight of the dish is truly the mushrooms. Garlic-buttered mushrooms with fluffy, cheddar and marsala infused quinoa is the ultimate food to warm your soul. In other words, if you're craving earthy, comfort food, this recipe is for you.
Although I normally use arborio rice or barley to make risotto, quinoa is an excellent substitute when you're pressed for time and don't want to stand over the stove stirring for what feels like an eternity. But I do find such a labor of love to be fitting during those times when I want to hibernate or need to slow down my mind. However, September is not the time for that as a lot of us strive to get back into a routine after the summer months.
Regardless of how busy your days may be, I hope you'll take the time to nourish your body with meals like this 30-minute recipe. It also makes for great leftovers, and you can feed an army without spending a fortune. Already have more leftovers in the fridge than you know what to do with? No problem! Just freeze individual portions in containers/freezer bags to be reheated later at your convenience.
Mushroom Marsala Quinoa Risotto
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 8 oz. crimini mushrooms, sliced
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups yellow quinoa
- 1/4 cup dry marsala wine*
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese (or parmesan)
- fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat and saute garlic, onions, and carrots, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook until lightly browned. Add tomato paste and stir until well-incorporated with vegetables.
- In a saucepan, cook/toast quinoa over medium heat for about 1-2 minutes. Add wine and cook until evaporated. Add broth and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add quinoa to skillet containing mushroom mixture and stir in cheese. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Top with parsley and more cheese, if desired.
* Can be substituted with white wine or stock for a non-alcoholic version