If you read my “Inside the Fridge,” you know my obsession with leftovers. Anything that saves me time and $$$ is my best friend. I’m sure you’re the same way.
While I don’t mind eating the same meals for days on end, after about 3 days, my considerate husband starts to make not-so-pleasant facial expressions (since he doesn’t have the heart to vocalize). Bless his heart.
Alas, I’ve been more intentional lately about “transforming” my leftovers rather than merely microwaving an identical plate night after night. And I’ve learned that sauces/dressings are a great way to re-purpose dishes. Just make the sauce ahead of time and have fun conjuring up various ways to use it.
Today, I want to share with you one of my favorites - Thai Spicy peanut sauce. Not only is it super simple to make, it keeps in the fridge for up to 5 days. Just be aware that it will thicken up when refrigerated so if you want to use it as a salad dressing or prefer a thinner consistency, simply stir in some water a little bit at a time.
Here’s how I’ve used the sauce…
Meal Idea #1: Thai chicken tostada
Rather than the usual refried beans as the base for the tostada, I turned it into a healthful and satisfying meal by baking the whole wheat tortilla and topping it with copious amounts of fresh veggies and chicken breast.
Thai Chicken Tostada
serves 3-4 people
• 6 whole wheat tortillas
• 2 cups cooked diced chicken breast
• Spicy Peanut Sauce
• red lettuce, chopped
• bean sprouts
• carrots, shredded
• green onion, diced
• cilantro, chopped
• lime juice (optional)
• chopped peanuts (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Coat tortillas on both sides with cooking spray or olive oil. Place on baking sheet and bake, turning once halfway, until lightly browned and crisped, about 10 minutes. Once out of the oven, immediately sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Spread peanut sauce on one side of baked tortilla. Top with chicken and vegetables. Drizzle more peanut sauce over the top if desired.
Meal Idea #2: Thai Chicken Salad Pita
This recipe is more like a guide to building one exceptional hand-held pocket. Feel free to substitute or add any ingredient from your refrigerator that is begging to be used.
Thai Chicken Salad Pita
• Spicy Peanut Sauce
• Chicken, roasted and diced into ½ in. cubes
• Carrots, sliced thinly into matchsticks
• Cucumber, diced
• Tomato, diced
Cilantro, roughly chopped
1. Heat up the sauce on the stovetop to make it easier to stir.
2. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.
3. Stuff the pitas.
Add this Thai Spicy Peanut Sauce to leftover chicken to transform it into a new meal! Tweet this
Thai Spicy Peanut Sauce
- 1 Tbs coconut cream (from top of can of coconut milk. Don't shake the can!)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp minced lemongrass (optional)
- 1 Tbs red curry paste
- ⅓ cup peanut butter
- 1 Tbs sugar
- 1 Tbs fish sauce
- 1 Tbs sesame oil
- ½ can coconut milk
- Heat coconut cream in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger, and sauté until fragrant, approx 1 minute. Add lemongrass and curry paste, and sauté for another minute. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients and simmer, stirring frequently, until well incorporated and thickened, about 5 minutes. For thinner consistency, slowly add water or coconut milk.