This rich and creamy Hot Spinach and Kale Dip recipe is the perfect healthy football tailgating appetizer. Pair it with baked chips or veggies for the win.
It never fails to amaze me how much time my husband can spend on the couch glued to the TV come September (hello, football season!). I get restless just watching him. While I try to join him as much as time allows, this year I envision myself making various snacks and then going into my cave to work on school assignments. Taking 2 graduate courses alongside my dietetic internship = no life. At least I won’t have to feel bad for not spending the weekend with him. He shall be lost in his own little world.
Last week, I made lightened-up hot spinach and kale dip, and my kale-hating husband loved it! Perhaps it was the beer influencing his opinion, but I’d rather not think that way. It was a monumental moment for me as I’ve been trying to convince him that kale is an edible food for, gosh, I can’t even remember how long. I’ve been looking for clever ways to sneak in the most glorious dark, leafy green, and I finally found it.
This creamy and comforting dip can be made in advance so that come game time, all you have to do is make the sauce and bake. I like to do all my prep work for the whole week on one designated day, so that’s when I made the spinach and kale mixture and refrigerated it in an airtight container.
An hour before kickoff, simply combine the milk, cream cheese, spinach mixture, and the rest of the ingredients, and bake until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly. This takes about 30 minutes of which the majority of the time is spent in the oven.
Serve alongside whole grain crackers, veggies, or whatever you’d like, and you’ll have plenty of energy to cheer your favorite team to victory!
Hot Spinach and Kale Dip
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups coarsely chopped spinach
- 1 cup coarsely chopped kale
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 4 oz reduced fat cream cheese
- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons sriracha (or hot-pepper sauce)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- If making on the same day, preheat oven to 425°F. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, approx. 5-8 minutes.
- Add spinach and kale in two additions, letting the first batch wilt down before adding the next. Add corn and cook until greens are completely wilted, tossing frequently, approx. 6-8 minutes. To remove all excess liquid, transfer to a colander and drain. (If you are making this in advance, simply allow the spinach and kale mixture to cook before transferring to an airtight container and refrigerate.)
- Bring milk to a simmer. Add cream cheese and cook, whisking, until melted and well incorporated. Add the spinach and kale mixture, Worcestershire sauce, sriracha, and ¼ cup mozzarella. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to a lightly oiled shallow baking dish. Top with remaining ¼ cup mozzarella. Bake until cheese is golden brown and bubbly, about 20-25 minutes. Serve hot.