I’m not much of a coffee drinker, but the abrupt crash in temperature had me wanting a Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbuck’s. Apparently everyone had the same urge. After much debate, I decided it wasn’t worth the wait and returned home to put my Keurig to good use. Why did I not do this in the first place? In any case, with my glorious cup of joe came an undeniable biscotti craving. Since the holiday season is upon us, I thought I’d incorporate several of my favorite holiday flavors in one bite. So here it is! After several batches to get the recipe just right (looks like I’ll be drinking a lot of warm beverages), out came this perfectly crunchy and Christmasy sweet treat. Biscotti are a perfect make-ahead dessert! After they cool completely (a very important step!), store them in an airtight container or wrap in foil and freeze in a freezer-safe Ziploc bag. I felt that the biscotti tasted better with time as the bright zest of the orange seemed to really develop and shine through. I’m planning on making a whole bunch of these and wrapping them in cute containers to give as gifts this year. Are you baking anything to give as gifts?
This Peppermint Chocolate Dipped Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti and a mug of coffee make the perfect pair! Tweet this
Cranberry & Pistachio Biscotti Dipped in Peppermint Chocolate
Makes 15-17 biscotti
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tbs butter, melted
- 1 Tbs orange zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup dried cranberries
- ¾ cup pistachios pieces
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup crushed mint candy
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Combine wet ingredients in another bowl and add to dry mixture. Stir until well blended. Stir in cranberries and pistachios. Knead dough in the bowl. It will become sticky so lightly flour your hands or coat them with cooking spray before shaping it into logs. Divide dough in half and shape each half into a log. Place dough logs on a greased baking sheet. Flatten each log to 1 in. thickness.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until slightly golden. Remove logs from pan and place on wire rack to cool for 15 minutes. Cut into ½ in. slices on the diagonal using a serrated knife.
Lower oven temperature to 250°F. Arrange slices cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Flip and bake on other side for an additional 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- In the meantime, melt chocolate chips. Stir until smooth. Dip cooled biscotti to about ¼-inch depth and smooth with a spatula. Sprinkle with candy crumbles. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheet and refrigerate to set.