This make ahead recipe with an Asian spin on chopped salad is crunchy, creamy, yet refreshing and packs some heat.
I must admit my heinous crime. I let one of my CSA vegetables die! Broccoli florets to be exact. In my defense, I was away for a week doing my internship and was confident that they would wait for me. Clearly, that wasn’t the case. In an effort to redeem myself, I hacked off the yellow, fuzzy florets and saved what I could - the stems - and decided to enjoy them in the only way I knew how - broccoli slaw. Since I also had some carrots (in perfect condition I’d like to note) from my CSA box, it quickly got upgraded to a broccoli and carrot slaw.
But then I didn’t want to just stop there. I was determined to make an enormous, hefty salad to compensate for my irrevocable failure. My brain started doing its thing, and before I knew it, I was headed to the store in pursuit of some napa and red cabbage. I was clearly craving something crunchy.
This is a perfect make ahead salad because you can prep all the veggies, as well as the dressing, beforehand. Just make sure you store them separately and toss everything together right before serving. In regards to the dressing, if you are going to make and enjoy the salad right away, I don’t think you’ll need extra water to thin out the dressing…but maybe you will depending on your preference. Once it’s refrigerated, it will thicken up a great deal, thanks to the peanut butter. I suggest either adding some more water OR making the dressing right before serving. It literally takes a minute to make.
Hope you enjoy this crunchy, creamy, yet refreshing salad that packs some heat. And to think, this salad came to be from broccoli storage gone awry. I swear, you can find inspiration anywhere.
Prep Asian Chopped Salad w/ Spicy Peanut Dressing for dinner tonight but enjoy for lunch all week! Tweet this
Asian Chopped Salad with Spicy Peanut Dressing
Makes 4-6 main servings
- 4 cups chopped napa cabbage
- 2 cups chopped red cabbage
- 1/2 cup carrots, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup broccoli stem, peeled and grated
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1-2 cups diced chicken breast, roasted
- 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Sriracha chili sauce
- 1 large garlic clove, pressed
- water if needed to thin
- For the salad - combine cabbages, carrots, broccoli, green onion ,cilantro and chicken.
- For the dressing - In a seperate bowl add peanut butter, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, sriracha and garlic to a food processor and blend until well combined.
- Add water to your desired thickness.
- Cover and refrigerate the salad and the dressing separately.
- Toss in the dressing right before serving.
Note: Nutrition facts reflect 4 serving option.