Made by substituting half the sugar with Swerve sweetener and using powdered peanut butter, these No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies are lighter than the original recipe but tastes just as great!
~by Regan Jones, RD
As co-owner of The Recipe ReDux, I was compensated to manage this recipe contest.
It really doesn't take a lot to make me happy these days:
- I need a good show to watch on Netflix. (If you aren't listening to the "If I had a VCR I'd tape this" segment of my podcast, you're missing out.)
- I need to be able to make it to the gym regularly for BodyPump and BodyFlow. (Why on Earth did I wait so long to realize with all that pumping, you need a lot of flowing?)
- I need something sweet on hand and in my mouth, daily. (But let's be honest, my 40+ year old waistline can't handle full-octane sugar sweets. Sigh.)
I shared with you earlier this week the secret to a healthier, lower sugar icing. That stuff is amazing. I mean, UH-MAZING. Remember this?
After making that icing and realizing how shockingly good it was, even made with half the sugar, I realized
my brilliance knows no end my sweet success didn't have to stop there. I immediately started thinking about treats I'd been wanting to makeover and these were the first cookies I thought of:
I have fond memories of being at my Mawmaw Ween's house as a kid and getting to try all kinds of her homemade goodies. I've told you over and over what a good cook she was. Like me, she served up love in whatever could be baked in a pan.
But not *everything* she shared was a baked good. I remember as a small child her making oatmeal no bake cookies and me loving every bite. As I got older, I don't recall her making them that much. Maybe it was the fat phobia of the 90s that pushed them out of her kitchen. I'm not really sure. But I am sure that if she were alive today, my remake of this classic cookie would pass her taste test.
Made by substituting half of the sugar called for in the original recipe with my absolute new favorite ingredient for sweet treats, Swerve, and using powdered peanut butter, I've trimmed the calories without sacrificing taste.
As I said above, I need something sweet on hand daily, but I also need it to be a *little* lighter PLUS taste great. These cookies do the trick! ~Regan
To see what other ReDuxers created this week for our contest with Swerve, click over to the recipe collection linked here:
ad: Less Sugar No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies use half the sugar of the original recipe but taste great! Tweet this
Less Sugar No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
Makes 2 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup Swerve, Granulated
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/2 cup powdered peanut butter (such as PB2)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat; add milk. Whisk together Swerve, sugar, cocoa, powdered peanut butter and salt; add to butter mixture and stir until smooth.
- Turn heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a full boil. Boil for one minute, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Add in vanilla and oats; stir until combined.
- Drop by heaping tablespoons onto a parchment or Silpat lined baking sheet. Let cool and store in an airtight container.