lead photo: Apple Pecan Oatmeal with Maple Pecan Crumble via The Endless Meal
Don't settle for a boring bowl of oatmeal! Try these 35 healthy oatmeal recipes to make breakfast more exciting.
(Editor's Note: This post originally ran in 2015, but I'm resharing it today to get you ready for that moment right after Christmas when you're gonna say to yourself "It's a New Year. I'm gonna eat better breakfasts, starting with eating more oatmeal. My journey to becoming an oatmeal lover wasn't easy. Here's how it happened. ~Regan)
I have a confession to make.
I have not been a good oatmeal eater.
I know. Shocking. An RD who doesn't eat oatmeal. Well, at least not until recently.
I ate lots of packets of oatmeal as a kid. (Always with raisins stirred in. Always) But over the years, I sorta lost interest. Until this happened:
If you follow me on Instagram you know that I've recently embraced the #oatmealbowl with reckless abandon. Why the sudden upswing in oatmeal eating? I recently had the opportunity to sample pre-prepared, frozen oatmeal by Good Food Made Simple. At first, I was a little skeptical, thinking
"Why would someone buy prepared oatmeal? It's so easy to make."
But as I continued pulling a package of oatmeal out of the freezer day after day and fancying up the toppings each time, I realized that the biggest barrier for me to eating oats isn't time or effort. It's just that it's so boring.
There. I said it. Don't judge.
What my freezer full of oatmeal forced me to do was get creative... find new ways to move beyond a simple sprinkle of cinnamon sugar. And that's exactly what you get in the 9 oatmeal bowls above (click the image to grab the simple recipe ideas on Instagram), the Chocolate Banana Hemp Oats recipe below and the following recipes from Healthy Aperture bloggers plus a couple from our friends at Cooking Light. Grab a bowl and enjoy!
- Microwave Oatmeal with an Egg via The Lean Green Bean
- High Protein Oatmeal via Fannetastic Food
- Pumpkin Latte Oats with Cranberries & Ginger Cookies via The Nutrition Adventure
- Creamy Sweet Potato Spice Oatmeal with Pecans and Cranberries via Athletic Avocado
- Maple Peanut Butter Oatmeal with Bananas & Chocolate Chips via Breakfast Drama Queen
- Apple Pecan Oatmeal with Maple Pecan Crumble via The Endless Meal
- Coconut Steel Cut Oatmeal with Almonds and Dark Chocolate via An Avocado A Day Nutrition
- Coconut Banana Steel Cut Oatmeal via Tastes Lovely
- Plum and Orange Oatmeal via Breakfast Drama Queen
- Chocolate Strawberry Oatmeal via I Love Vegan
- Apple Pie Oatmeal via That Healthy Kitchen
- Coconut Raspberry Ice Cream Oatmeal via Feasting on Fruit
- Peach, Flax & Walnut Oatmeal via Back To Her Roots
- Citrus Oatmeal via Curls n Chard
- Matcha Oatmeal with Sesame and Coconut via Healthfully Ever After
- Roasted Blood Orange Oatmeal via The Foodie Dietitian
- Strawberries & Cream Steel Cut Oatmeal via Spoonful of Flavor
- Cinnamon Roll Protein Oatmeal via Food Faith Fitness
- Coconut Oil Banana Oatmeal via Yeah...Imma Eat That
- Banana Coconut Crunch Steel Cut Oatmeal via Spoonful of Flavor
- Morning Glory Muffin Oatmeal via In It For The Long Run
- Nutella Brownie Oatmeal via Cafe Delites
- Oatmeal with Blueberry Cream Cheese Swirl via Greens n Chocolate
- Chai Spice & Pear Oatmeal via Cooking Light
- Pistachio, Fig and Saffron Oatmeal via Cooking Light
Don't settle for boring oatmeal! Try these 35 recipes on @healthyaperture to make breakfast more exciting Tweet this
Chocolate Banana Chia Oatmeal
- 1/4 cup dry steel cut oats
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon chocolate peanut butter
- 1/4 banana, sliced
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- Prepare oats according to package directions. Stir in peanut butters. Top with banana and hemp seeds.