An easy, budget-friendly way to use canned tuna and combine spicy, sweet and sour tastes for a new family favorite.
Disclosure: By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Bumble Bee Seafoods and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
Hi, I’m Katy, the mastermind Mama at DomesticRockstar.com. I speak my mind on tricky topics related to motherhood and do my best at creating budget-friendly recipes that my family will love. I am also one of the photo editors here on Healthy Aperture (keep those awesome recipes and photos coming in!). I’m excited to be sharing this recipe with all of our readers and contributors here on the HA Blog!
As a busy Mom and Dietitian, I struggle daily with providing healthy and nutritious food for my family that won’t break the bank or tie up too much of my time. A lot of our meals resemble mini smorgasbords to keep everyone happy and full.
Quesadillas are a hit around our house and I have been pretty successful at sneaking in some ingredients that the kids would normally push to the edge of their plates. As long as I have two tortillas and some cheese I can make a nutritious meal!
When I had the opportunity to incorporate some Bumble Bee Seafoods products into a meal I was super excited! Canned food is a convenient, affordable, nutritious and delicious way to ensure you and your family are eating enough seafood. I like to stock up just in case I need to make a meal on the fly.
By combining the Bumble Bee Seafoods Tuna Fish and my family’s love for quesadillas, we created our first ever taste testing event. We had eight different flavor combinations to start, with the winner and new family favorite below. What an awesome way to spend a lazy Summer day!
We were able to create the perfect balance between the sweet honey, the sour apples and the spicy pepper jack cheese, all the while making a good dent in our FDA and EPA recommended 2-3 servings of seafood per week.
I am keeping this recipe handy, especially for during my next pregnancy. For my first, I had wild cravings for sour green apples and I know this quesadilla will hit the spot. Most pregnant women do not get their recommended 3-4 servings of seafood per week which is linked to maximum IQ benefits in their offspring. Now I’m not pushing for a genius baby, but I will shoot for the recommended servings so baby #2 can reap the brainy benefits!
This tuna quesadilla recipe can be adapted to fit almost any pregnancy craving, or picky kids’ craving for that matter. Like I said, we started with eight different flavor combinations which resulted on one amazing recipe, lots of laughs, full tummies and quality family time memories. Take the time to sit down with your family and make a quesadilla using Bumble Bee Seafoods Tuna and set sail for a flavor adventure.
From my family to yours, Enjoy!
(Be sure to check out the image gallery below for all the great recipes throughout this week that Recipe ReDux members are creating for this contest!)
Granny Apple Tuna Jack Quesadillas
- 2 medium tortillas (we like whole wheat)
- 1 can (drained) Bumble Bee Prime Filet Solid White Albacore Tuna in Water
- 3/4 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced or shredded Granny Smith Apples
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt (low-fat)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Preheat large flat top, frying pan or quesadilla maker to medium heat.
- In a bowl add the Bumble Bee Seafoods Tuna to the shredded cheese and mix together.
- Thinly slice or shred an apple on a separate plate.
- Place one tortilla on your heated surface, followed by half of the tuna and cheese mixture, followed by all of the sliced apples, then the rest of the cheese/tuna mixture and finally the last tortilla.
- Grill quesadilla to your desired meltiness!
- While your quesadilla is cooling off place the greek yogurt and honey in a small condiment bowl and mix together.
- Cut your quesadilla and serve with the dipping sauce at its side. Enjoy.