Grain-Free Vegan Blueberry Lime Cake Donuts and a hot cup of coffee is all you need to celebrate back-to-school days!
Here we are... the time has come.
This next week brings the last of the summer stragglers. The kids that start school after Labor Day.
The final week of Facebook feeds full of children of all ages and sizes, uniformed and not, holding signs with their grade number or fingers up to represent how many years they've been in school.
Every one of those pictures represents a mom (and/or dad) who is brimming with emotion. This could range from terror- from watching kids step into new classes for the first time, ripping heartstrings and virtual umbilical cords with each step- and/or elation- that summer is over, routine begins again, and there are now a few free hours during the week to go grocery shopping alone, actually enjoy a clean, quiet house for a hot minute, have a real lunch with a friend, and maybe even watch a Netflix show with bad words during daylight hours.
It seems historically one of my favorite things to do after school started was to invite a mom friend over to have coffee, which also gives me an excuse to bake something yummy. It's rude not to have something baked when someone comes for coffee, right??!! That is what I tell myself when I'm mixing up a sweet goodie... at least I plan to share, kinda.
These Grain-Free Vegan Blueberry Lime Cake Donuts are just the kind of thing I like to have for those mornings. Sweet, light, and delicious, but full of gluten-free, grain-free protein to ease a little bit of guilt.
If you're one of the moms who has posted your "back-to-school" Facebook pic or will next week... then, undoubtedly, you deserve a donut.
Grain-Free Vegan Blueberry Lime Cake Donuts & coffee is all you need to celebrate back-to-school days! @kumquatblog Tweet this
Grain-Free Vegan Blueberry Lime Cake Donuts
- 2 tablespoons golden flaxmeal
- 4 tablespoons warm water
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup organic non-hydrogenated shortening (such as Spectrum)
- 1 tablespoon lime rind
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- 1/3 cup freeze-dried blueberries (or fresh)
- 1/4 cup freeze dried-blueberries
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- fresh lime juice
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine flaxmeal and warm water to for a slurry; set aside.
- Combine almond flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Cut in shortening with a pastry cutter or two knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Mix together lime rind, 1/4 cup lime juice, maple syrup, and vanilla in a small bowl. Add mixture and flax slurry to dry ingredients, and stir until just combined.
- Stir in 1/3 cup freeze-dried blueberries.
- Divide mixture evenly among 8 greased donut pan wells.
- Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool; carefully turn out donuts.
- Place 1/4 cup freeze-dried blueberries in a small zip-top bag. Beat with a rolling pin to make a powder. Transfer blueberry powder to a medium bowl. Add powdered sugar and stir to combine. Add 1-2 tablespoons fresh lime juice to make a thick glaze.
- Spoon glaze onto donuts. Top with sprinkles, if desired.