These gluten-free sour cream and onion biscuits plus soup and a fireplace are the recipe for a warm night in.
We are well into the time of year that deserves nights filled with soups and stews.
After surviving two Polar vortex-filled winters in the frozen tundra that was Northern New York, this DC metro area has offered us a kinder shade of cold. But it is no Hawaii, by a long stretch.
My friends know that I am beginning to take personally the bitter cold that follows me wherever we move to call home. When winter hits in our new home there are "never-before-seen" cold events that occur. Thundersnows in Kansas, snow piles and frigid cold not seen in 30 years in New York, and now over 2 feet of snow (and more thundersnows) in about 36 hours just last month here in DC.
After a few years of this I am seeing a pattern in myself during these cold months... I make savory breads. There is nothing more comforting than a bowl full of soup, stew, or chili with a hand full of savory gluten-free bread alongside. This seems to be the way I cope. Here's more proof.
This gluten-free sour cream and onion biscuit was born this past weekend during an especially crazy snow and ice-filled cold snap. Luckily all of the white stuff has melted away in this weather-fickle place but the biscuit recipe remains!
If Uncle Sam moves us to Hawaii and it snows, we'll know for sure it's me.
Gluten-free sour cream & onion biscuits via @kumquatblog plus soup & a fireplace are the recipe for a warm night in. Tweet this
Gluten Free Sour Cream and Onion Biscuits
- 2 teaspoons golden flaxmeal
- 1 tablespoon very hot water
- 140 grams (about 1 cup) kumquat's gluten-free all-purpose flour* or gluten-free flour without gums
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 green onions, sliced
- pinch paprika
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Combine flaxmeal and hot water to form a slurry. Set aside
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir in melted butter and sour cream to form a dough. Stir in green onions.
- Drop dough by 1/4-cup-full on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle tops of biscuits with paprika. Bake at 400° for 15-17 minutes or until golden.