The classic taste of pecan pie in an easy-to-eat bar cookie gets a gluten free makeover.
Forgive me if I've shared this with you before. (Aging brains don't recall who we've told what to. If you have an aging brain, you can relate. If you don't, I hope you remember I warned you... although, you probably won't by the time you get to that stage of life... it's a vicious cycle, ya know?)
Anyway, back to the story -- my husband and I differ in our preference for desserts.
I'm not talking chocolate vs fruit or hot vs cold. I'm talking utensil vs fingers.
Since I've known him he's insisted that the best holiday desserts are the ones you can pick up with your fingers. Bar cookies, brownies, cookies... you get the picture.
He's clearly wrong.
The best holiday desserts are the ones that require a cake server, pie plate, knife or some sort of special grand presentation utensil AND they require you to spoon or fork into them.
Of course I am. This is my blog. I'm always right.
BUT... being the compassionate cook that I am, over the years I've pushed my dessert comfort zone to a place of finger held dessert inclusion. I mean, marriage is after all full of compromise, right?
So to honor of one of his favorite holiday handheld desserts, the pecan square, I've given it a spiffy gluten free makeover. In fact, I gave these a spiffy gluten free makeover last Christmas and never shared these with you.
That's another thing that happens with an aging brain. You make a recipe, think you'll post it and then you turn around and 365 days have passed and it's still sitting on your computer waiting to be shared.
So here's to hand held desserts and memory loss. May your New Year be filled with more of the former and less of the latter! ~Regan
The classic taste of pecan pie in an easy-to-eat bar cookie gets a gluten free makeover. @healthyaperture Tweet this
Gluten Free Pecan Squares
Makes 16 squares
- 1 cup (120 g) gluten free all purpose flour (I used Jovial)
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon half-and-half
- 2 cups pecan pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8- x 8-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour and sugar; add in butter and egg. Blend until mixture resembles coarse meal. Pat mixture firmly into bottom of pan.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Let cool.
- Combine brown sugar, honey, remaining butter, and half-and-half in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in pecans, and pour hot filling over crust.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Cool completely before cutting into squares.