~by Regan Jones, RD
Fall is here.
Forget what the calendar says.
If you don't believe me, go to Starbucks. The Pumpkin Spice Latte is back.
Or visit Target. I have it on good authority that candy corn is in the aisles.
Still not convinced?
This morning I saw my first Pumpkin Scone recipe of the year.
I can't say that I'm devastated over the news (although, I am opting to hold on to my white summer jeans until after Labor Day... you know, protocol, etiquette and all that good stuff). This has been a wonderful summer, but honestly - when your kids start back to school less than one week into August, it's hard not to get caught up in the desire to say goodbye to the summer heat (and for us down South this year, the bizarre monsoon-like rains). Considering what lies ahead - cooler temps, the influx of sweet potato, pumpkin, apple, cranberries and pecan recipes and most importantly of course, football...well, I say bring it on.
As a fond farewell to summer though, I'm sharing these Gluten-Free Lemon-Raspberry Muffins.
I mentioned a few weeks ago that some recent food sensitivity testing had revealed a number of foods that my body is not loving at the moment. Surprise, surprise... gluten made the list, along with - as you may remember - cane sugar. *Sigh*. If I'm one thing in the kitchen, it's a baking fiend. So I vowed when I set out to make my first batch of gluten-free, sugar-free muffins that they must be good. And these deliver!
Sure, they don't taste like fall. So enjoy them while you can. Or maybe hold onto the recipe for those days when you think you simply can't see another pumpkin muffin
I'm curious - what do you think about how quickly we usher out summer, especially in the blog world where we're just barely holding back the flood gates on all things pumpkin? Like or Dislike?
Tender gluten-free muffins, perfect for on-the-go breakfasts or after-school snacks. Tweet this
Gluten Free Lemon-Raspberry Muffins
Makes 8 muffins
- 1/4 cup canola or olive oil
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 100 grams (about 12 tablespoons) all purpose gluten-free flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2/3 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 8 muffin tins with cooking spray or line with liners.
- In a large bowl beat together oil, sugar, egg white, flax and applesauce.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and lemon zest. Stir in raspberries.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin tins. Bake for 20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of muffins comes out clean.