Lately, I haven't been able to drink enough tea. The warm mug to wrap cold hands around. The swirls of steam that call you to drink... slowly. The way it makes you toasty on the inside too, with each mild-flavored sip.
My usual favorites are Earl Grey and Chai. Earl Grey is my ideal for a simple, calming, great morning. Chai is when I want to kick up the flavor and smells. It's by far my favorite to breathe in deep while drinking.
Chai is black tea combined with some of the best spices out there... cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cardamom, clove. I can think of no better combination of taste and aroma. Therefore, I wanted to infuse it into my morning oatmeal... I guess to not just drink, but eat my chai! Topping it with a scented, buttered pear mixture would round it all out. This was my plan for today's post.
So imagine my surprise, when I noticed Rachael Hartley, of Avocado A Day Nutrition posted Chai Oatmeal with Sauteed Pears earlier this week! Clearly, brilliant minds think alike. I knew I liked her.
This Chai Oatmeal with Spiced Pears is packed with flavor and the perfect way to start your day! Tweet this
Gluten Free Chai Oatmeal with Spiced & Buttered Pears
- For Oatmeal:
- 2 cups almond milk
- 2 chai tea bags
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- For Pears:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pears
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons water
To make oatmeal:
- Bring almond milk to just a simmer in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat; add tea bags and let steep 5 minutes. Remove tea bags and discard them.
- Stir oatmeal into tea-milk mixture. Bring to a simmer and cook 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until oats are tender and mixture has thickened. Stir in vanilla paste, maple syrup, and salt.
- Keep warm.
To make pears:
- Melt butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add pears and stir to combine. Stir in spices and water; allow to cook for 3-4 minutes or until pears have softened
- Top oatmeal with pear mixture. Serve with additional maple syrup.