What an honor to write the inaugural recipe post for Healthy Aperture‘s new blog!
First thing first… a very brief introduction… I am Gretchen and my little space in the blogosphere is called, kumquat. There I post all gluten-free recipes, and will be the first to admit I have a thing for sweets.
I am a Registered Dietitian, so in my hearts of hearts I do know to limit the bad things. I do try. Really.
These donuts are the perfect example. I crave a donut, I make a donut. However, I try my best to create these treats from good things.
These are the days of the coconut! The health benefits of coconut are impressive and all the rage. In this donut, I decided to use every bit of the drupe… flour, oil, milk and meat!
Fully gluten-free. Full of flavor. Full of nutrients!
These Gluten-Free Coconut Donuts would pair perfectly with your morning cup of coffee! Tweet this
Gluten Free Totally Coconut Donuts
- 2 teaspoons ground golden flax
- 4 teaspoons very hot water
- 210 grams coconut flour
- 70 grams (about 1/2 cup) kumquat’s all-purpose flour or other gluten-free flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 1/4 cups canned, unsweetened full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 2 large eggs
- Cooking spray
- powdered sugar
- toasted unsweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine flax and water; set aside.
- Combine coconut flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, combine butter, coconut oil, coconut milk, milk, extracts, and eggs. Add mixture and flax slurry to dry ingredients; stir well.
- Press mixture into donut pan molds coated with cooking spray, filling just to the top. Bake at 350° for 20-22 minutes or until golden. Carefully remove to a cooling rack to cool.
- Make a glaze with powdered sugar and milk to desired consistency. Spread on cooled donuts. Sprinkle with toasted coconut.