Just in time for the busy holiday season, an easy mug cake recipe for breakfast! Healthy Gingerbread Pumpkin Breakfast Mug Cake
Hello, doughy, delicious, oatmeal-filled treat to start your day with.
Yes yes yes. Pumpkin + oatmeal + gingerbread...I choose YOU!
I spent years not being a gingerbread person and now I'm making up for lost time. That is my excuse for having gingerbread before Thanksgiving. Don't judge. Years of gingerbread deprivation makes one do crazy things. I was so anti-gingerbread that I wouldn't even eat gingerbread cookie dough, which is big for me because I'm very pro-cookie dough. It always just tasted too spicy!
Doesn't the thought of gingerbread bring on memories of decorating the cutest gingerbread me?! But don't get carried away here. It's not even Thanksgiving. We're weaning ourselves into gingerbread season with a breakfast mug cake.
You could definitely make this in a bowl or a ramekin of sorts, but since mug cakes just sound like a fun idea for breakfast I used a mug.
All you have to do is find a mug and throw together some oats, molasses, pumpkin pie spice, flaxseed and BOOM you've got breakfast. You do have to heat it up in the microwave OR you could always use the oven (350ºF for 15 minutes should do the trick).
So when the weather near you gets chilly, stay warm with this mug of perfect coziness. It'll be sure to make you feel warm and fuzzy. Autumn win.
Gingerbread Pumpkin Breakfast Mug Cake
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons oats
- 1/4 cup mashed banana (~1/2 large banana)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 flax egg (1/2 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 1 tablespoon water)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 tablespoon molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- In a small bowl, combine ingredients for flax egg and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine all other ingredients in a microwave-safe mug. Stir in flax egg. Microwave for 2-31/2 minutes, or until batter is cooked through.
- Serve topped with pomegranate seeds.