These Garlic and Onion Baked Potato Fries are your best bet to guarantee a truly gluten free French fry with restaurant quality flavor.
French fries are just potatoes, right? So they're gluten-free, right?
Well... not always. And unfortunately, not usually.
When I first became a gluten-free eater, many moons ago, I came to realize the very real frustration of the French fry. It seems it should be totally brainless... potato, fryer, French fry. Happily gluten-free. But not so much.
Those suckers are tricky. And something you should always ask about when eating out at restaurants while living a gluten-free life.
You see, many times, the potatoes are coated in a breading or a seasoning that contains gluten. Even then, if they aren't breaded or seasoned with gluten, they are very frequently fried in the same fryer that cooks up the chicken fingers, fried shrimp, or other gluten-containing fried stuff. In that case, there is a very high likelihood of cross contamination. Those little particles of gluten floating in the cooking oil will probably stick to your otherwise gluten-free fries, rendering them no longer gluten-free.
So a delicious, safe fry when eating out is always a treat (though honestly, because so many of them aren't, I'm always still just slightly nervous). That's why making them at home is the best bet.
I love baking them, because you end up with a great fry and you don't have to even mess with a huge pot of gurgling hot oil. These Garlic and Onion Baked Potato Fries are the perfect example. Cook up a few piles of these to partner up with your next outdoor grill menu. And rest assured, these fries really are gluten-free!
These Garlic and Onion Baked Potato Fries are a truly GF French fry w/ restaurant quality flavor. @kumquatblog Tweet this
Garlic and Onion Baked Potato Fries
- 3 Russet potatoes
- Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- coarse salt
- freshly cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Scrub potatoes clean, but leave skins on, if desired. Cut potatoes lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick fries.
- Place potatoes on a baking sheet generously coated with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with garlic powder and onion powder. Toss potatoes to coat in spices and oil. Spread out fries into a single layer on baking sheet.
- Bake at 425°F for 15 minutes. Carefully stir and turn over potatoes, being careful not to mash or break them. Spread out, once again, into a single layer.
- Bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until crispy, or cooked to desired doneness.
- Sprinkle with coarse salt and freshly cracked pepper. Toss and serve.