An easy weeknight stew inspired by classic gumbo, made with sausage and leftover roasted chicken.
~by Regan Jones, RD
An easy weeknight stew inspired by classic gumbo, using sausage and leftover roasted chicken. Tweet this
Easy Chicken and Sausage Stew
Serves 6 to 8
- 1/2 pound lean smoked sausage, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 (14.4-ounce) bag frozen pepper stir-fry (I used Bird's Eye)
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- Shredded Pepper Jack Cheese (optional)
- Cook sausage in a Dutch oven over medium heat until browned (about 10 minutes). Remove sausage, reserving 1 tablespoon of drippings; discard remaining drippings. Set sausage aside.
- Add oil to pan. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until roux is caramel colored (about 10 min).
- Gradually stir in water; bring to a boil. Add sausage, chicken, frozen vegetables, garlic and Creole seasoning to pan. Simmer, uncovered 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Top with shredded Pepper Jack cheese, if desired.