These Dark Chocolate Red Wine Cakes are the perfect treat for Valentine's Day, date night or any other special occasion!
This is the second post in a series of three Healthy Aperture Blogger Network campaigns sponsored by Hodgson Mill. Recipe and photos by kumquat.
We all know what we eat can affect our health. The majority of people don't get enough fiber, but it's so important. It can help promote heart health, as well as your digestive health.
One easy way to introduce more fiber into your family's diet is to get more whole grains. Whenever you bake, you can use whole grain flours or meals. Add a little, or a lot - whole grains will add flavor, texture, and better nutrition no matter what!
Remember that if you're gluten free, you can still boost your whole grains, and it's just as important! Brown rice is whole grain; and some other good options that are usually available include Oats and Oat Flour, Quinoa Flour, Corn Meal, and Buckwheat Flour.
For this recipe, we chose to showcase how the Hodgson Mill Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Baking Mix can come in handy! Made with a combination of millet, sorghum and brown rice flours, it helps add whole grains to your baked goods while still keeping them gluten-free!
The baking mix makes a perfect base for these Dark Chocolate Red Wine Cakes, which make the perfect indulgent treat for a special holiday or occasion.
Be sure to stay tuned over the next two weeks to see what whole grain baked goods our Healthy Aperture Blogger Network bloggers are whipping up this month with whole grain products from Hodgson Mill! You'll see recipes from:
Liz @ Pumpkin & Peanut Butter
Bailey @ Simply Sissom
Erin @ Platings & Pairings
Alex @ Delish Knowledge
Laura @ JoyFoodSunshine
Melanie @ Nutritious Eats
Holly @ Taste & See
Emilie @ Emilie Eats
Rachael @ Rachael Hartley Nutrition
Ali @ Home & Plate
Brandy @ Nutmeg Nanny
Julia @ A Cedar Spoon
AD:These Dark Chocolate Red Wine Cakes are the perfect treat for a special night w/ your sweetie. via @kumquatblog Tweet this
Dark Chocolate Red Wine Cakes
Makes 15 cakes
- 2 cups Hodgson Mill Gluten-Free Baking Mix
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate unsweetened cocoa
- 1.5 teaspoons teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla paste or extract
- 1 cup red wine (tested with Merlot)
- 12 ounces dark chocolate
- optional garnish (white chocolate melting candy)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a 9-inch baking pan with parchment paper, leaving a 1-inch overhang of paper over edges. Spray with cooking spray.
- Combine baking mix, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In another bowl, beat softened butter until fluffy with a hand mixer. Add brown sugar and sugar; beat until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; stir to combine.
- Add half of baking mix-cocoa mixture to butter to combine. Add half of wine; stir to combine. Add remainder of baking mix-cocoa mixture and wine, alternating, to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until pick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Cool.
- Cut cake into 15 (3- x 2 1/4-inch) rectangles (cut cake into thirds one direction, then fifths in the other direction).
- Heat dark chocolate, slowly, in a microwave or over a double boiler until melted.
- Place cakes, one at a time, on a large fork and spoon melted chocolate evenly over cake to fully cover. Place on a piece of wax paper or parchment paper to set chocolate.
- If desired, write your favorite love words on cakes with melted white chocolate candy.