These Dark Chocolate Raspberry Smoothies will kick-start your day as a breakfast that offers healthy fuel and meanwhile satisfies your sweet tooth.
With Valentine’s Day around the corner, it may seem that boxed candies and heart shaped cookies are taking over the office. Instead, why not opt for something both delicious and nutritious? There’s nothing like kick-starting your day with a breakfast that offers healthy fuel and meanwhile satisfies your sweet tooth.
Chocolate doesn’t have to be off-limits this season. In fact, enjoying this special treat as part of your active lifestyle could help you to avoid munching on that bowl of Snickers on your co-worker’s desk. The key here is moderation. Incorporating dark chocolate in moderation offers benefits such as:
- Antioxidants. Chocolate is made from cocoa, which is has flavanols (a type of flavanoid). Antioxidants counteract free radicals in the body. Choose dark chocolate with a higher percent (>80%) to get the most antioxidant “bang for you buck.”
- Lower LDL cholesterol. Regular (but moderate) consumption of dark chocolate may help to lower low-density “bad” lipoprotein cholesterol.
- Natural Anti-Depressant. Chocolate contains serotonin. This is a natural anti-depressant that stimulates the body to produce endorphins. However, just because it does have this benefit doesn’t mean you can cut the work-out and reach for chocolate instead!
- Prevents Tooth Decay. When eaten in moderation and accompanied with proper oral hygiene, chocolate can actually protect your teeth. Chocolate contains theobromine, which eliminates a tooth-decay causing oral bacteria called streptococcus mutans.
Try kicking off your Valentine’s Day season with a Dark Chocolate Raspberry Smoothie for you and your lovebug (or just you, and save the second serving in the fridge for later!). The two dark chocolate squares will add just the right amount of chocolate-y goodness to make your romantic day extra sweet.
These Dark Chocolate Raspberry Smoothies will kick-start your day as healthy fuel & a sweet treat! @KristinaLaRueRD Tweet this
Dark Chocolate Rasberry Smoothies for Two
- 1/2 cup frozen raspberries
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 2 dark chocolate squares, crumbled
- sprinkle of kashi cereal, honey toasted oats, for topping (with the little heart shapes ☺)
- drizzle of honey, for topping
- Blend ingredients together, and top with dark chocolate, cereal for crunch, and a little honey for extra sweetness.