See how easy it is to make your own homemade chocolate bars with almonds using this easy recipe.
This weekend starts the deluge of candy.
First comes the Halloween loot, then the Thanksgiving candy corn and dessert spreads, followed by Christmas or Hanukah chocolate and sweets, and the Valentine's sugar fest... Really, is it any wonder winter brings colds and flus and sickness?
When we bombard our bodies (much less the little bodies of our kids) with about 5 months straight of sugar coupled with little fresh air and sunlight-producing Vitamin D, we are setting our immune systems up for a battle.
However, if you know me, you know I love sweets. Too much. I enjoy turning just about anything into a dessert. But I also believe in doing it the right way. So you don't feel deprived and the joys of food aren't missed. But nobody needs to pour sugar straight down their throat. Instead take advantage of the health benefits of things like dark chocolate and nuts, and enjoying them as a dessert.
Set yourself up for success before the 5-month sugar fest starts. Fill your kitchens with things like these homemade Dark Chocolate Almond Bars. Then you won't be so tempted to settle for a pixie stick or a pack of skittles.
Your body will thank you.
See how easy healthy homemade chocolate bars are to make in this recipe by @kumquatblog. Tweet this
Dark Chocolate Almond Bars
- 4 ounces dark chocolate (more than 70% cacao), chopped
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted
- pinch Maldon salt
- Combine chocolate, almond butter, butter, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds and stir well to melt everything together.
- Microwave on HIGH for an additional 15 seconds, if needed to melt throughout.
- Pour mixture into a 7 1/2 x 5-inch pan lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle top with sliced almonds and place in fridge to chill until set.
- Sprinkle with Maldon salt. Cut into 6-8 pieces to serve.