Comfort food has taken on a whole new meaning with my Creamy Parsnip Cashew Pasta with Seasoned Pistachios.
This simple dish is going to be your new go-to when you’re craving something creamy and delicious.
I know, parsnips are not usually a food you think of in June, but when I found them at my local Trader Joe’s, I just couldn’t resist. Looking for any excuse to use my spiralizer, I turned this fall favorite into an awesome summer dish.
I’m probably one of the few people on Earth who don’t really love a creamy cheese sauce. I just don’t like my cheese cooked, I’m a raw cheese eater, all the way. But I still love the feel and texture of a warm creamy sauce. This cashew sauce is a staple in my house from back in the day when I taught raw cooking classes. It’s so simple to make and the flavor is right on. It goes perfectly with pretty much any kind of spiralized veggie and you can easily add herbs to it to change the flavor (sage is one of my favorites).
Since I blend up the cashew sauce in my Vitamix I can get it pretty warm, making it easy to just toss with the veggies and eat. Since the parsnips are a bit crunchy I decided to heat them up first in a saute pan with some oil and then toss with the sauce. I topped the pasta off with seasoned pistachios for crunch and some dried parsley. So good!
Trust me, if you’re looking for a creamy comfort fix, this dish is it.
Comfort food takes on a whole new meaning with Creamy Parsnip Cashew Pasta with Seasoned Pistachios via @2eatwellRD Tweet this
Creamy Cashew Parsnip Pasta
Makes 2 to 4 servings. Analysis is for 4 servings.
- 3 Parsnips, peeled and spiralized
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight (or at least 30 minutes)
- 1 tsp miso paste
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp hemp seed
- 2 Tbsp raw pistachios
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- sprinkle parsley flakes
- Soak cashews in water overnight (or for at least 30 minutes)
- Peel and spiralize parsnips and set aside
- In a blender, add drained cashews, water, salt, miso paste, garlic, hemp seeds and lemon juice. Blend well until smooth and creamy
- Heat olive oil in saute pan
- Add parsnips to pan and saute, covered, for about 5 minutes or until soft
- Place parsnips into serving bowl. Pour cashew sauce over noodles and mix well to combine
- Place pistachios in a small bowl, season with your favorite spices or seasoning salt. Add a drizzle of olive oil to make sure spices stick to nuts
- Top pasta with parsley and pistachios and eat immediately