Packed with warming spices and coconut shreds, these Coconut Chai Granola Bars are a simple snack you can keep on hand for busy mornings or on the go snacks.
Late January and February is a common time for me to fall into a food slump. You have all probably experienced these food slumps before - when cooking an elaborate meal is the last thing you want to do, and peanut butter toast or quesadillas fall back into your meal routine. I know I'm feeling a lack of inspiration without an excess of beautiful fresh produce during this season of life.
Instead of focusing my energy on trying to push myself back into it, I usually reframe and embrace the simplicity of these meals. Making a recipe on Sunday that I can take for snack, like these warming coconutty bars, or a simple pot of soup, goes a long way.
I recommend starting with this level of spice in the granola bars for the chai flavor, which is heavier on notes of cinnamon and vanilla - my favorites. You can adjust as you make them again - if you like spicier chai, add a bit of additional ground cardamom and a pinch of pepper (Seriously! It works!).
Sometimes I add dried fruit pieces into my simpler flavored granola bars, but this version is already packed with plenty of coconut and chai flavor. I also find that a piece of fruit (banana, apple or orange) and a granola bar are two easily packable snack ideas for the day, so I get my fresh fruit in as well.
For more seasonal meal ideas and grocery shopping inspiration, check out my Seasonal Produce Lists I share each month on Uproot Kitchen. Enjoy and be well!
Coconut Chai Granola Bars are a simple snack to keep on hand for busy mornings or snacking on the go @uprootkitchen Tweet this
Coconut Chai Granola Bars
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup raw slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup raw unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, mix together oats, shredded coconut, slivered almonds, and sunflower seeds. Set aside.
- Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper covering the sides, and set aside.
- In a pan, heat together brown rice syrup and almond butter. Stir constantly until the mixture is well combined and the edges begin to bubble a bit.
- Add cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and cloves and stir well. Turn off the heat.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in vanilla and salt.
- Pour the liquid into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir well. Dump it into the lined 8x8 pan and use an additional piece of parchment or wet hands to flatten the bars firmly until you have an even thickness.
- Freeze the bars for 30 minutes, and then remove the bars from the pan. Slice them into 12 rectangles (or your preferred shape) and wrap them individually in plastic wrap.
- Store the granola bars in the fridge for up to 10 days, or freeze them for up to 2 months.
Recipe Notes: Recipe adapted from my Essential Nut and Seed Granola Bar. Use certified gluten-free oats to make these bars vegan and gluten-free.