Winter and Salad finally come together in this yummy Chopped Kale Salad, light enough to conquer your New Year goals and filling enough to satisfy your hunger.
With the New Year, many of us turn to resolutions. Will this be the year that you conquer a fear? Will you start a new business, or change something about your life that has been nagging at you for some time?
With all of these resolutions swirling around us, I find it hard to allow myself to be content with where I am. This year, I am actually not writing resolutions or promising myself change.
Instead, I am promising myself continued contentment, and continued positivity towards myself and others. This starts with me grounding in what I believe makes me happy as a person - simple meals at home, time with true friends, good books, cozy spaces.
This Chopped Kale Salad is one of my favorite recipes I have yet to write up - but one that I make often for myself, so that I look forward to pulling it out of my bag on a busy day or enjoying it at home in a big bowl with a mug of tea.
It's a simple mix of veggies, protein, and texture that will satisfy even during the winter months, when salads don't usually excite me. Packed with thick-cut deli turkey, sunflower seeds, avocado and shredded carrots, there's plenty to chew on and enjoy. Switch up the dressing for a different flavor each time you make it - though I like to leave mine simple to allow the simple ingredients space to shine.
To make this quickly, I like stopping at the deli counter and asking for them to cut some turkey extra thick - let them know it's for a salad. Grab a bag of pre-shredded carrots and the rest of the ingredients, and you're just a few minutes away from enjoying this salad.
For more seasonal meal ideas and grocery shopping inspiration, check out my Seasonal Produce Lists I share each month on Uproot Kitchen. Enjoy and be well!
Winter and Salad finally come together in this yummy Chopped Kale Salad from @uprootkitchen @HealthyAperture Tweet this
Chopped Kale Salad
- 1 large bunch curly kale, washed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup pre-shredded carrots
- 1/2 pound thickly sliced oven roasted turkey breast, diced
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 3/4 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions, white and green parts
- Prepare the kale by removing the thick stems. Use a knife to shred the leaves into small bite size pieces.
- Place the prepared kale in a bowl and use your hands to massage it with the salt, olive oil, and vinegar.
- Add in shredded carrots, diced turkey breast, diced avocado, sunflower seeds, and chopped green onions. Toss well and serve.
Recipe Notes: Adjust seasonings to taste. If you are using lacinto kale, use 2 bunches as the leaves are much smaller. Mixed salad stores well in the fridge for up to 4 days.