This hearty salad recipe combines classic flavor combos of blue cheese and buffalo sauce with chicken, apples, corn and a crispy sweet potato topping to create the perfect main dish summer salad.
There are a lot of details I need to tell you about this salad. If you don't like reading, just look at the pictures instead because they are prettier than my words (and my grammar).
Reasons why to say ohhhhhayyyy to this salad...
crispy, oven-baked sweet potatoes
creamy blue cheese crumbles
roasted, crisp asparagus
sautéed, sweet corn
FRESH mango (<3) & apples
green spinach & romaine
I know romaine is the boring lettuce of the salad world. Actually, the most boring is iceberg. Unless it's a wedge salad with blue cheese, tomatoes and bacon…I don't want you, iceberg.
Have you made a grilled romaine salad? If you have, know I am jealous of your life. And your ability to work a grill. Moving on from the lettuce.
The dressing in this salad is made creamy with avocado. What?! Oh it's so good. I want to do an entire post on all the salad dressings to make with avocado.
Have anything in your life you want to make creamy? Avocado has your back. Smoothies, dressing, even perhaps ice cream? Avocado will make it creamy. It's like your new BFF. If the dressing is your BFF, then this salad is a good time. Because if you're with your BFF then you'll have a good time. Make sense? Good. Lettuce eat.
Blue Cheese & Buffalo Sauce Summer Salad (with Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries!)
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 ear corn, cut kernels from cob
- 1 large sweet potato, sliced into thin strips
- 1 bunch asparagus, washed & trimmed
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 cups romaine
- 1 small apple, cut into thin slices
- 1 mango, cut into thin slices
- 1/3 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1 small avocado
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Make your dressing. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the avocado, BBQ sauce, 1 tablespoon olive oil, apple cider vinegar and salt. If dressing seems too thick, add water 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Pre-heat oven to 425ºF. In a bowl, toss sliced sweet potatoes with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Place them on a baking sheet (or a cookie cooling rack on top of a baking sheet) and bake them for 20 minutes. Then flip to the other side, and bake for another 20 minutes, or until crispy. Then toss asparagus and corn with 1 tablespoon olive oil and place on baking sheet. Bake for 8 minutes.
- While your veggies are baking, slice chicken in half lengthwise to make them into thinner pieces and season both sides with salt and pepper. Place 1-2 tablespoons olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add in chicken breasts and cook on each side for 3 mintues, or until internal temp reaches 165ºF.
- Assemble your salad by topping spinach and romaine with sweet potato fries, roasted asparagus/corn, sliced chicken, apples, mangos, blue cheese and buffalo sauce dressing. Toss and eat.