These tasty vegan avocado black bean burgers are delicious, filling, and easy on your wallet.
You can't go wrong by adding avocado to things. It's a really good day when an avocado is involved (I am easily amused).
Whenever avocados go on sale, I may or may not buy at least 8 million. [For purposes of a more entertaining story, for me anyway, I am exaggerating. Ignore the word million and you'll get a more accurate account.]
I get so excited that I forget that one does not need 8 million avocados. In theory, I want 8 million avocados, but it's just not possible for me to eat them all before they go bad.
I've unfortunately learned my lesson the hard way that I cannot eat all those avocados before they go bad. And if you love avocados as much as I do, you know how terrible it is to cut into one and realize you have to throw it away. Oh, the agony.
That being said, I've started getting really creative on how I can use up my avocados before they go bad. It's out of necessity because every time I go to the store, avocados are always on sale. It's glorious and not so glorious at the same time (remember how upsetting it is to throw away avocados gone bad).
Now, I only buy the avocados that are not ready to eat in the near future. Likely, I have at least 3 million already at home, so I need to eat those in the next few days. Buying the unripe avocados gives me a chance to catch up. It takes a long time to eat 3 million avocados, ya know?
For this recipe, you'll actually only need one avocado. I was originally planning to make these Avocado Salmon Burgers but realized that I used my last can of salmon the day before. (Rude).
Have no fear though because I bought a bunch of beans at Costco when I first moved in. It's always good to have pantry staples and for me that means having at least 5 cans of beans in my pantry. They've saved my life on countless occasions.
So using black beans instead of salmon and chia seeds instead of eggs, I made some avocado black bean burgers. Vegan and gluten-free avocado black bean burgers so anyone can enjoy these babies. They're crispy on the outside with a soft inside. You are welcome to make them thinner so there is more crispy, but I like the contrast of textures.
I hope that you have a plethora of avocados in your house, so you can make these tasty things. They're packed with fiber & flavor; plus, they're easy on the budget clocking in at around $6 for the entire recipe [insert thumbs up emoji here]!
These tasty #vegan avocado black bean burgers are delicious, filling and easy on your wallet via @healthyaperture Tweet this
Avocado Black Bean Burgers
- 1 medium avocado (about 1 cup)
- 3 TBSP lime juice (from about 1-2 limes)
- 1 (15 ounce) can no salt added black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 TBSP chia seeds
- 1/4 cup minced jalapeño (from 1 jalapeño)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion (from 1-2 green onions)
- 1/4 cup old fashioned or quick oats (not instant)
- 1 TBSP olive or avocado oil
- 2 TBSP chopped cilantro for serving, optional
- 1/4 cup salsa for serving, optional
- In a medium glass or ceramic bowl, mash the avocado and lime juice. Add half of the beans, garlic powder, and salt. Mash together.
- Add the chia seeds, jalapeño, green onions, oats, and remaining beans. Stir well to combine completely.
- Shape into 4 patties, and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes or up to overnight (but make sure to cover them).
- When ready to cook, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in patties, making sure they don't touch. Cook for about 5-7 minutes per side, until crispy on the outside.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped cilantro, if desired. Serve with salsa, and enjoy!