As much as I love vegetables, I sometimes just don't get enough in my diet. Let's be honest, veggies aren't as simple as grabbing a bar or yogurt and moving on to your next task. Anytime I feel lower in the vegetable department, I break out the blender and make a green smoothie. Before you turn up your nose, you really cannot taste the greens!
Starting off the day with greens provides an extra dose of vitamins and minerals that I'd likely not get otherwise, because who really has time to make omelettes packed with swiss chard and mushrooms during the week? I know I don't. Drinking vegetables takes little effort and requires minimal clean up. Smoothie bonus: they are easy to eat on the go!
Whether your a professional athlete or corporate athlete, tight schedules make it difficult to allow time to cook and eat well. A smoothie can be a balanced meal or snack and compliment a busy lifestyle. Get the most out of your smoothie with these tips.
- Go green. Add kale, spinach, swiss chard, or arugula greens to your smoothie to get multiple doses of vegetables in one drink!
- Frozen fruit. Use frozen fruit as the base of your smoothie to get a cool and smooth treat without adding ice. Ice can water down the flavor of a smoothie and make it more tempting to add sugar.
- Protein up. Protein helps to build lean muscle mass and has staying power, keeping you fuller for longer. To balance protein throughout the day, add Greek yogurt, protein powder, or milk to your smoothie.
- Add healthy fat. Chia, peanut butter, and flax are healthy fats that work well in smoothies making them thicker and "meal like" as the fat promotes meal satisfaction.
- Smart liquids. Depending on your energy needs, you can keep it you're smoothie light with almond milk and coconut water or up the calories with full fat milk or 100% fruit juice.
Do you add greens to your smoothie? What's your favorite smoothie combination?
This Apple and Greens Smoothie is packed with nutrients and makes a great on-the-go breakfast or snack! Tweet this
Apple & Peanut Butter Smoothie
makes 1 smoothie
- 1/3 cup frozen diced mango
- 1/3 cup frozen sliced peaches
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach
- 1 apple, cored
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 cup ice
- Place all ingredients in a high powered blender and pulse until smooth.