This hearty buckwheat and chia breakfast bowl provides everything you need to fuel your morning!
Buckwheat is one of my favorite “pseudo” grains. They’re “pseudo” because although they look and act like grains, they’re not grains at all. These tasty little triangular nuggets are actually fruit seeds called groats. Similar to quinoa (another “pseudo” grain) buckwheat is also gluten free, so it’s safe for people with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity. Buckwheat groats can be eaten raw or toasted, as in Kasha. They’re the perfect breakfast food -- high in fiber, rich in magnesium, and slow to raise your blood sugar.
This Almond Cardamom Chia Buckwheat Bowl recipe also contains another super seed -- chia! Chia serves up a healthy dose of protein, fiber, and tons of omega-3 fats. I mixed my chia and buckwheat bowl with a sweet and spicy blend of cardamom, dates, vanilla, almond butter, and coconut milk. This earthy mix of flavor combines to create a tasty bowl of nutty deliciousness.
I topped my buckwheat and chia bowl with sliced bananas, frozen wild blueberries, cocoa nibs, and sliced almonds. The slightly thawed frozen Wild Blueberries add the perfect amount of cold and the bananas offer a hint of sweet (as does the honey I drizzled on top). The cocoa nibs and sliced almonds provide a little more crunch, just for good measure.
This delicious, creamy bowl is a great way to start any day!
This hearty buckwheat and chia breakfast bowl via @2eatwellRD provides everything you need to fuel your morning! Tweet this
Almond Cardamom Chia Buckwheat Bowl
- 1/4 cup Chia seeds
- 1/4 cup Buckwheat groats, raw
- 1 tsp vanilla powder or extract
- 5 Medjool Dates
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
- 1 Tbsp Almond Butter
- Pinch Sea Salt
- 1/4 cup Wild Blueberries
- 1 Tbsp Cocoa Nibs
- 1 Tbsp Sliced Almonds
- 3/4 cup Coconut milk, from can
- Honey for drizzling, if desired.
- Combine dates, vanilla, cardamom, coconut milk, salt, and almond butter in blender. Blend until smooth.
- In a small bowl combine buckwheat and chia seeds. Add coconut milk mixture to bowl and stir well. Place in fridge for about 15 minutes or overnight.
- Top with wild blueberries, almonds, cocoa nibs and almonds before serving. Drizzle with honey, if desired.