Sweet Potato, Kale & Brie Quesadilla
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 6 ounces brie, cut into 6 thin slices
- 6 100% whole wheat tortillas
- Hot sauce, salsa and sour cream, optional for serving
- Wash sweet potatoes and pat dry with a paper towel. Poke all over with the tines of a fork. Wrap with a paper towel and microwave for 5-7 minutes until tender (press with an oven mitted hand to check it out). Carefully unwrap, cut into the center with a knife and set aside to cool a bit.
- While potatoes are microwaving, steam kale for 5 minutes until wilted and tender.
- After sweet potato is cool enough to handle, using a spoon, scoop sweet potato flesh out into a small bowl and set aside until ready to use. Heat olive oil in a medium skillet on medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper and saute until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add chili powder and oregano and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add sweet potato flesh and mash together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with olive oil. Place on medium-high heat. Add tortilla. On one side of the tortilla, add a slice of brie. Top with a small handful of steamed kale. On the other side, spread 1/6th of the sweet potato mixture. Flip the sweet potato side over the kale and brie side, pressing down with a spatula to flatten. Cook until cheese is melted and tortilla is crisp, about 4 minutes total.
- Remove from skillet, cut into 3 wedges and serve with hot sauce, salsa and sour cream (or yogurt) if desired. Repeat to make remaining quesadillas. Serve immediately.