This tropical breakfast bowl mixes wheat berries with mango flavored yogurt, fresh mango chunks, and shredded coconut and is topped with the deliciousness of macadamia nuts.
Wheat berries are a fun way to get some whole grains into your diet. Have you ever tried them? Don’t be so quick to say no, you’ve likely had more wheat berries than you think! Ground up wheat berries are what make up most wheat-based foods, including whole wheat flour. I like to promote eating whole grains before whole grain flours, so I’m a fan of these little guys.
You cook up wheat berries similar to any other grain, just simmer in water until tender. Wheat berries have a nutty flavor with a subtle hint of sweet. They always retain an ‘al dente’ bite which allows them to hold up well in many different type of dishes. From hearty soups and stews, salads, or this delicious Tropical Breakfast Bowl, wheat berries are a tasty, nutrient-rich addition to many everyday dishes.
Speaking of nutrients, these little guys are natural whole grains! With that you get plenty of protein, fiber, B vitamins, and minerals like magnesium and selenium.
Because it's still beach season I decided to take make a tropical breakfast bowl to get my wheat berry fix. I mixed the wheat berries with mango flavored yogurt, fresh mango chunks, and shredded coconut. I topped the deliciousness off with a few chopped macadamia nuts.
One bite of this breakfast bowl and you’ll feel like you’re walking on the white sands of the Caribbean.
Oh well…a girl can dream.
Tropical Wheat Berry Breakfast Bowl
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup mango, chopped
- 6 oz mango flavored yogurt
- 2 Tbsp shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a small sauce pan, add the wheat berries and salt, cover, and simmer until the grains are tender, about 50-60 minutes. When ready, refrigerate until you are ready to use.
- In a small bowl, mix ½ cup of wheat berries with the yogurt. Stir in the chopped mango and shredded coconut. Serve sprinkled with the macadamia nuts.