With a few simple ingredients and a slow cooker, you can roast a whole chicken to use in a variety of dishes throughout your busy week.
I have a love/hate relationship with my slow cooker.
I love the convenience. I hate that so many dishes come out a homogenous mixture of over-cooked everything.
My goal for Slow Cooker Savvy as a Feature on the Healthy Aperture blog is to discover new ways to put this old favorite to good use.
First up, “Roasted” Chicken.
Cooking chicken in the slow cooker is obviously not a new idea. It’s one of the more commonly cooked meats, I’m sure. But what I see most often is an assortment of chicken breasts with sauce. I wanted to see if I could actually get a decent looking, whole chicken out of my slow cooker.
The key - invert a small (oven safe) plate inside the slow cooker so that the chicken has something to sit on while it cooks. This helps the juice drip away and avoid that chicken swimming in juice, falling off the bone mess to deal with. I won’t lie and say that it comes out quite as picture perfect as when roasted in the oven. But for a hands off, whole chicken approach to cooking, I think it works. If you really want your chicken “browned” before carving either broil it a few minutes on a baking sheet or simply brush it with a little soy sauce. (Sssssshhhh. Don’t tell).
Once your roasted chicken is done, you can serve it as we did… for dinner with a couscous salad and steamed veggies or…
...the next day use as the filling in your favorite cabbage or lettuce leaf wrap.
What about you? What’s your favorite Slow Cooker Dish? Or what types of recipes would you like more of for your slow cooker?
Slow Cooker (Roasted) Chicken
serves approximately 16
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lemon
- 1 (4-pound) whole chicken, rinsed and patted dry
- Combine lemon, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Halve lemon and place inside cavity of chicken. Rub outside of chicken with olive oil mixture. Fold wings under chicken and tie legs together with string, if desired.
- Place chicken, breast side up, on an inverted oven-safe dish or small cake pan inside slow cooker. Cook on high until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thigh registers 180ºF (about 4 to 5 hours).