Sweet pineapple and a bit of sesame gives a kid-friendly sweet and savory twist to this Shrimp Fried Rice recipe.
Have you taken our Reader Survey yet? Puleeze do. It's 6 questions. Super simple. And so important to help us improve the content we share with you here on the blog. If you don't like something we're doing, let us know!
It's clear so far from the survey that one of the main things most readers want more of here on the blog are Quick and Easy Meals.
I TOTALLY get this. As much as I love to gawk over brownies, cakes, cookies and cobblers, the reality is I am charged with putting dinner on the table every night and need quick, easy, HEALTHY options that everyone at my table will love.
Like today's Sesame Shrimp and Pineapple Fried Rice.
This is a recipe I shared years ago over on my first blog -- The Professional Palate. I doubt many of you that are here now were with me then. So I'm sharing today to make sure you don't miss out on this little gem.
Fried rice is an awesome weeknight dinner idea. It easily stretches whatever meat or seafood you have on hand. Using sweet pineapple and a bit of sesame gives a kid-friendly sweet/savory combo that's sure to make this a family favorite at your house. To make this an even speedier dish, I cut the rice prep down by using this "ready rice" by Uncle Ben's. It's basically just cooked rice in an easy open pouch. No weird ingredients and not super high in salt. (And don't be carb phobic about rice. Here's why rice is actually a good source of something called "resistant starch" and can easily be a part of your healthy diet.)
Sweet pineapple & sesame gives a kid-friendly sweet & savory twist to this Shrimp Fried Rice recipe. @ReganJonesRD Tweet this
Sesame Shrimp and Pineapple Fried Rice
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 carrots peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 8 ounces medium-sized, peeled and deveined raw shrimp
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- pinch red pepper flakes, optional
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add carrot, red bell pepper and onion; season with salt and saute 3 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Add shrimp; saute 2 minutes.
- Add rice and pineapple; cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated and shrimp are done.
- Spoon rice mixture to one side of pan; add eggs to opposite side of pan.
- Cook eggs without stirring, for 10 seconds.
- Cook, stirring frequently, 2 additional minutes or until eggs are scrambled.
- Remove from heat and stir in sesame oil; sprinkle with sesame seeds and red pepper flakes, if desired.