This Slow Cooker Chickpea and Lentil Chili is the perfect balance of spicy and sweet, making an easy vegetarian lunch or dinner!
Hope you had a blessed holiday with your loved ones! I’ve been living out of a suitcase for about two weeks now and am so happy to get back into my daily routine groove in freshly laundered, clean-smelling clothes. While I love spending time with family, after about a week, being in such close proximity with people who know you inside and out is not so ideal. If I go too long without personal space, watch out! The Hyde in me rears its ugly head.
Needless to say, even though it’s the New Year and I should be feeling a bit more motivated, I’m going to slow things down for a few days to recharge from the vacation. This slow cooker chickpea and lentil chili certainly fits into that plan. Not only can I just set it and forget it, it’s also easy on my hard hit holiday wallet.
Earthy, spicy, and a little sweet from the addition of golden California raisins and sweet potatoes, this dish is sure to warm the body and the soul. I like a thick chili as you can see. But if you prefer it to be soupier, simply add more liquid to the slow cooker (e.g. 1/2 cup water). This dish is best when eaten within 3-4 days or else we found that the flavors become too concentrated. Hope you enjoy!
This Slow Cooker Chickpea and Lentil Chili is the perfect balance of spicy and sweet! Tweet this
Slow Cooker Chickpea and Lentil Chili
serves 6 to 8
- 1 cup dried chickpeas
- 2 quarts boiling water
- 2 cups chopped sweet potatoes (1/2 in. cubes)
- 1 cup uncooked lentils
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 2½ cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- ½ cup water
- 1 (28oz) can whole tomatoes, undrained and crushed
- Fresh cilantro for topping
- Place chickpeas in a saucepan, and add 2 quarts of boiling water. Cover and let stand for 1 hour; drain. Place cooked chickpeas in slow cooker.
- Add rest of the ingredients up to raisins. Mix well. Add liquids. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.